Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Only file attribute won't change on Win 2003 File Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

datamonitor

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
US
I have an IBM x345 series server act as a Win 2003 File Server. However, every single folder/file I created includes Read Only attribute and I can't change it. I uncheck the Read-Only attribute from the General Properties, but when I check it back, Read-Only option come back again.

I also tried to use dos command to remove and add attributes but still no luck. In addition, I tried to recreate share folders from File Server Management console but folders created with Read Only option.

When folder created with read only option no one, including administrator, can save/change any files.

Thanks,

NTFS permission is in place and but still I can't modify any files/folders. However, on the server console everything is fine.

For example, I just created a folder called;

e:\public
and share it and I give everyone Full access permission.

a user can type \\server\public\ and browse the files and sub folders without any problem. However, user (including adminis) can't add files or modify because it says "Read Only"

The article says that use dos attrib command but I already did.

There are two permissions you need to check. First check the share permissions on the sharing tab, permissions button.

Then check the NTFS permission on the security tab.

Users coming through a share will get the *most* restrictive permissions. So if the share is Everyone:Read, you could have Everyone:Full on the NTFS permissions, and everyone is still only going to have read.

Thanks so much. Problem solved.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back