Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Only Attribute on shared folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimatkci

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
I created a new share on my folder, and the attribute is set to Read Only. Even with administrative rights, I can change the attribute, but it keeps going back. I have set the permissions for full control, and I gave everyone full control, and still can't make headway. Any ideas?

By default users are only given limited rights. You must go to Computer Management, System Tools, Shared Folders, Shares. Select the share and right click to change Properties. Go to Share Permissions and make necessary changes. Good Luck.

As Phead2 linked, the read only attribute box being checked is by design.

If you are having problems where you cannot modify files, it is not because of this checkbox. Permissions are controlled by both share level and file level permissions.

Yeah most of our server folders have the read-only attribute set but as the KB article says this is generally ignored by Windows. Users can access them just fine, based off access granted at the share and NTFS level.

By default, shares on Windows 2003 are created with read only share permissions. When you create the share, check share permissions and note that everyone is read only without any other user permissions. In our environment, we give full control to everyone then control the actually file and folder access with NTFS.

As in another thread, I misread the problem/question. What problem is this causing?

I see the attribute but is it stopping people from getting to files or what?

I have a similar problem. Most of our applications run fine (i.e. users can write to shared folders) However one particular applications(LaserApp) is complaining that it is a 'Readonly folder'.

I don't know the solution yet!!

Yes, I can see everybody can access - read - write as normal (only who is granted permission). But I cannot save file that is posted via http e.g., XML file. I already added ASPNET group and even made the folder free to access and do whatever anyone want, but the problem still!

Any idea, please help?

I am experiencing the same problem. All the client machines can access the shares on the 2003 Server fine, but I am trying to use a network scanner that scans into a shared folder and it come back as the folder being read only, yet all clients can read/write to this same folder. There is a hot fix for it, however, you cant get to it. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

I'm having this same issue. So what exactly does a solid green box in the Read-Only box mean?

Robyne-

Same problem as described. However, All users that access files, I migrated in from a WIN NT 4 Server, are being told " This file is read-only, please rename using save as in order to modify." I'm dying over here!! Nothing seems to work. Any Help???

A shared Folder is only Read only on a user level basis. The folder may be read only for some users but not for others. You cannot therefore have a read only checkbox setting on a shared folder.

User access is controlled by both share permissions and security permissions and both these must be set to allow access for users and groups as required.

gmess123 Security settings are lost on files from old NT4 boxes as the NTFS user hashes are not recognised. You will have to reassign permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back