Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

read NTFS from DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbugsy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
Anyone know of a utility that wil allow me to read NTFS from DOS WITHOUT a gui. I want command line/scriptable capabilities.

It is worth pointing out that NTFSDOS uses facilities in the underling operating system in order to read partitions.
Therefore in order to access partitions over 2Gb in size, you must use a Windows 95OSR2/98/Me bootdisk with FAT32 support.

John

I'm not sure you understood my question......I know the free version can only "read" and I know that I have partition size limitations. What I am looking for is a DOS COMMAND LINE VERSION. NO GUI NO "WINDOWS" NO MENUS just white letters on a black screen with a c:> prompt.

Unless I am mistaken this program does NOT run at the command line. It opens a "GUI".

It hasn't when I have used it (and that is several times).

It can be run under Win9x to allow access to dual boot systems with NTFS partitions, but this is not required. You can run it from a DOS bootdisk with no extra files.

John

Unfortunately I think I am not stating my question in such a way as to invoke the right answer.

I don't mean can you copy it to a disk or run the command from the command line, I mean "can you type a command like 'copy' or 'cd' or anything like that". from what I see of this program it opens a blue "gui" and I can only navigate with the arrow keys. I cannot simply enter commands.

One of the versions of NTFSDOS do what you're asking - you boot into DOS using some boot disk (e.g. a Windows 98 boot disk) and then run the NTFSDOS exe file. It then mounts the drives and you're able to access them.

This is all done through the normal DOS interface i.e. once its finished booting, you have a a:\> prompt. From here you could for example go c: and then cd winnt etc. When I used NTFSDOS, there was no blue GUI.

I can't remember if the one I used is the one on the link in my first post or the one jrbarnett suggests.

Thanks alot everyone. It was very confusing that there are 2 versions of the software with the same name. I seemed to keep finding the gui version.

Any good tips on extracting a registry value from the dos prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back