Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read .EXE’s Manifest content with VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit Broekhuis

Programmer
Aug 16, 2004
NL
Hi,

Is it possible to read a .EXE’s Manifest content with VFP. I know that some programs can read this information, but is it possible with VFP?

Regards, Gerrit

If you get hold of a copy of MT.exe from the M$ Windows SDK, you could run that to a file and read in the manifest (if it exists)

Hmm, just downloaded that and I'm probably wrong!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Griff, I was about to suggest the same thing. Why do you say you were probably wrong?

MT.EXE is a command-line tool, so it can easily be run from within VFP. That said, I have no experience of using it, so maybe you are right about being wrong.

Anyroad, here is a link to the docs:
Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hi Mike,

Well, again I could be wrong, I couldn't work out how to read a manifest within a .exe with MT.exe!

The help option meant too little to me!

It looks like it only reads .manifest files, not .exe

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Ah ha! comme ca!

Code:
mt -inputresource:myfile.exe;#1 -out:mymanifest.manifest

yields:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" type="win32" name="Microsoft.VisualFoxPro" processorArchitecture="x86"></assemblyIdentity>
<description>Visual FoxPro</description>
<dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" language="*" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thanks Gerrit

You found it just before me!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Griff,

Yes, Google is my friend (and I pay back with my privacy)

In the mean time I was able to create a basic manifest file and compile my .EXE, and yes, it's embedded in the compiled .EXE.
Now I have to find out what other options to put in my own manifest file. I will ask Google again...

Regards, Gerrit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back