Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldWilly

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
I am trying to read an Excel file called "email.xls".
I set up my CF Admin ODBC connection using Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls). DSN = "xls". I put in Workbook/Directory ...
c:\Inetpub\ (the directory where the email.xls file exists) .. and it verfies ok.
Then in my CF code:
<cfquery datasource=&quot;xls&quot; name=&quot;email&quot;>
SELECT * FROM email
</cfquery>
This code fails. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
I notice that CF Admin offers Excel version 97-2000 and lower. The Excel on my PC is 8.0 (I don't know if it makes a difference).

Sometimes you have to drop it to a csv file. I couldn't get a similar situation to work for the life of me. Then you import it into the database and do it that way.

To ease the process, my friend wrote a little program to do it for me so I could update the file without repeating the steps.

8.0?? Is that aka 2002?

Anyway... a couple of things that might do it...

a) your query name is the same as your table name. That can't be a good thing. I'd change the name of your query to something else.

b) is &quot;email&quot; the name of the file, the workbook, or the individual sheet? I believe the syntax needs to be something like:

select * from [email$]

assuming &quot;email&quot; is your sheet name (the name of the file is defined in the connection, and the name of the workbook is actually ignored).
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back