Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reaction to PMI Cert Test 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizabeth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 1999
US
I just took my exam yesterday and would like to hear people's reactions to the test experience.

I was surprised how unpleasant the test was, even though I was warned. I was prepared for lengthy questions with lots of irrelevant material, and I was somewhat prepared for them putting many of the time-consuming questions up front, which gives you an unrealistic idea of how you're doing on the clock.

But I guess I didn't know how to prepare for unclear Q&A's which others also mentioned. It doesn't seem like more studying would have helped, as I was getting about 100% on the practice exams. My Cert score was more like 80%, and I couldn't even tell how I was doing. Some stuff was easy, but some Q&A's just seemed so poorly written. It was like being tested on how well I could get inside somebody's head, instead of my knowledge, judgement, or experience. I actually got so burnt on the psychological thing that I after I ran through the test once, I exited, rather than reviewing until my full 4 hours were up. My eyes and my brain were cooked. I think it would have been better if I'd taken a nice long break after each hour instead.

But, I AM happy it's over! I was getting tired of lugging that study material around!

Hi All,

I too just passed the exam. Halleluyah! I would like to confirm pretty much everything Jay1000 and Elizabeth have said. As far as adding my two cents....

1. Do not be lulled into a sense of confidence after scoring high on practice exams. My exam was significantly more difficult than the RMC simulation, Kerzner simulation, or even the 2 day prep class simulation I attended conducted by Bill Duncan himself (former PMI standards director). The main difficulty seemed to come from quite a number of situational type questions. In other words, "What would you do if...." type questions. I rarely was able to narrow my response past two seemingly equally good answers.

2. Definitely memorize. For the most part Jay1000 is right on the money with what to memorize.

3. Take at least one (preferably more) 200 question sample exams to get the feel of the process.

4. I recommend that you answer every question as it comes up. Do not leave any blanks to return to later. Just answer them and mark them for review later. That way, if you run out of time, at least you made an attempt to answer.

5. Here is a trick that was helpful to me, note your start time, then, when you have answered the first 50 questions, check the time elapsed. Multiply by 4. If the result shows you will finish in 3.5 hours or less, you know that your pace is good and for some questions you can take additional time.

It is a difficult exam, but, considering what we do in PM, it ought to be.

Best of Luck...

First of all Congradulations. The test is tough.

I am writing in a few weeks.

My understanding from other collogues is that PMBOK 1996 memorization is critical, however pacing yourself in an environment which tests your ability to write and process suplurforous information is key. The CA & CPA exam prep courses offered by Becker Convizer speak well to this methodology.

seawolf2000

Hi Rita, You certainly have helped a lot of us! I got quite a bit out of your PM Tips & Tricks class and your PMP Prep class in 2001, and have already signed up for your 2002 Risk Management Class, and the Leadership class by your associate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back