Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: Why some emails don't get delivered?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garymgordon

Programmer
Apr 5, 2000
US
First .. I hope I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this problem.

I am desperately looking for a very solid and detailed explanation as to why "some" (and only occasional) emails (even if they are properly sent, etc.) sometimes seem to fail to reach their destination.

For example, I have an email script (cgi) that sits on the server and simply sends the message (which is captured using a FORM) to a designated recipient.

The FORM also captures the information that is entered by the user .. and places it within an .mdb file (in addition to sending it out through email).

BUT .. and here's the problem ...

Occasionally .. the email never seems to get delivered. (The email is sent to 3 people. And even when I check with all three of these people - which I am one - no one received the email.) But, when I check the database .. the information is there .. sitting in the .mdb file.

So, my question is ...

What THING or THINGS (and please be as specific as you can in your explanation) can and do happen that might gobbel up the email or whatever ... that might prevent it from being sent or received by the designated recipient?

Am I the only one that ever ran into this situation?

HELP??? Does anyone know why this might happen on occasion. It doesn't happen often .. but it does happen and I am simply trying to understand EXACTLY what might cause the situation from occurring.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary M. Gordon, LLC
webmaster@garymgordon.com
Certified Web Developer ::
Application Programmer

The receiving server is killing it because of the .mdb file. As an experiment, send said file to one of the "problem" destinations with the .mdb file attahced, but with it's extension changed to, say, .mmm. Does it make it now?

carrr,

No. You don't understand. hahaha

I'm not SENDING an .mdb file. The FORM that I am using to capture the information is WRITING the same information that is being sent to the email .. out to an .mdb file (as backup).

All I am asking .. is why ... sometimes ... an not always .. do emails which are sent ... not make it all the way to the recipient? In my situation, out of 100, 99 are fine. But maybe one out of 100 just don't seem to make it. And, I am simply looking for as many possible reasons that might exist that would prevent a stray email from actually making it to the recipient. (No attachments, nothing different from email message to email message. Same message in all emails.)

???

Gary

Gary M. Gordon, LLC
webmaster@garymgordon.com
Certified Web Developer ::
Application Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back