Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: Which is better .. GoLive or Dreamweaver? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

garymgordon

Programmer
Apr 5, 2000
US
I would really like someone who might be familiar with both to give me their thoughts on which is better?

I do most of my developing - by hand coding.

So, I like a good handcoder .. but I also like a good WYSIWYG.

Please give me your thoughts and why?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary M. Gordon, LLC
webmaster@garymgordon.com
Certified Web Developer ::
Application Programmer

Me too. I come from a handcoding background. I have also been forced into Dreamweaver projects also. Now I am in an enviornment where it is "recommended" that I use GoLive.

Well, as I have been using GoLive now since March, I am hooked!

I think it is one of the strongest, cleanest, best editors out there. It is more in depth than I found others to be and it is a breeze to learn. Typical Adobe craftsmanship.

However...

I also note that when using it to do image rollovers and such it likes to write its own "csaction" script that is really bizarre. I still hand code the rollovers or I use Dreamweaver for them.

I find that having both is a great deal of help and still lets me write strong code AND manage the hand editing/coding that I need.

I think it is personal preference as to which is a more comfortable interface, but as I stated, I think GoLive gives many more options, settings, wizards, and writes the cleanest code.

In March I had 5, but as soon as 6 came out we got that and the difference is night and day. GoLive 6 is much more solid and has some awesome short cuts for style sheets and everything. One is that it shows the tags in the status bar, such as <table><tr><td>. You just click on one in the status bar instead of highlighting in the page then apply the style. Sounds like no big deal, but it makes adding a style to a link SO much easier. In Ver 5 it ended up as a <span> instead of adding the class directly to the link. That isn't supported as many places.

That is just one way that I found 6 offers tons of great features.

OK...so I am sol. I swore I wouldn't get into the editors, but GoLive made me accept them. Hell, I even bought a MAC now tooo. I must be nuts!

I couldn't decide. I bought both.

Adobe claims that GoLive does the least tinkering with your HTML (Adobe sells it as '360 code', meaning when you switch back and forth between source and WYSIWYG, GoLive doesn't monkey with your perfectly hand coded work).

If you want to make a quality professional looking website with flash included, use Dreamweaver. I'm heavy into the flash mx, but i don't use it to make a complete site because of the size of the files. I have found that a Flash and dreamweaver combination will produce the best website results.
Golive does produce clean code, but coding is now to observe not to write.

If you want to make a quality professional looking website with flash included, use Dreamweaver. I'm heavy into the flash mx, but i don't use it to make a complete site because of the slow loading time. I have found that a Flash and Dreamweaver combination will produce the best website results.
Golive does produce clean code, but coding is now to observe not to write.

I'm with you jimoblak. I have both and use GoLive most often. Occasionally I use Dreamweaver for JavaScipting because it handles the code better. But then I take it into GoLive and use the &quot;rewrite source code&quot; feature and it cleans up real nice.

Adobe is correct. It does writ e the cleanest and least intrusive code that I have seen. And from a developer perspective, I would much rather see that. Code is as much an important part of sites as the visual. Try editing some of the sites I have been given to edit or rebuild! I know at least that my code is easy for any pro to work with.

Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver are by far the best two web design applications in existence today.  

I use GoLive, but I also highly recommend Dreamweaver.

I think about the only thing that gives GoLive the edge for me is its seamless interaction with the rest of the Adobe suite of publication and graphics software, such as PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat, LiveMotion, etc.

The only well-known web design package that I DO NOT RECOMMEND is FrontPage.

I'm a long time source code writer and have used both GoLive and DW.

I highly prefer GoLive over DW. GoLive does a much better job of leaving my code alone while providing a more comfortable feature laden environment to do it in. GoLive's code is so clean i have come to using it's code more and more.

I use Photoshop as my Design Software and Image Editor, so I thought that GoLive would be the obvious choice since I was so used to the Adobe Layout, Menu System, etc. I only had access to GoLive 5 or Dreamweaver MX, and Dreamweaver was by far tremendously better in between those versions IMO.

I just purchased Adobe Creative Suite CS, which includes the new version of GoLive, and I am going to start playing with that once it arrives.

I have since started using Dreamweaver MX 2004 as well, which is also an excellent product. I am interested to see if I will like the new version of GoLive better...

Either way, both are excellcent products. It comes down to more than anything what you are used, and which one you like more. Luckily, they both have 30-day trials, so download them and start testing!

Oh yea, FrontPage is poop so don't waste your time on that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back