Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-Routing Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingerang

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I have a routing table set up on a router with multiple interfaces and using static routing.
I have one interface which goes out to the internet via a firewall.
We have a default route pointing out an internal interface that does not access the internet.

What I am trying to achieve is route all non-rfc1918 addresses out via the one interface (not the one with a default route).

However, I would like to have an exception for some (only 4) non rfc-1918 addresses which go out another interface.

Neither of these interfaces use the default route as we need it for another interface.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in Advance,

pinger.

Are all outgoing interfaces public addressed IP's?

Burt

Its a bit like this:

All interface IP addresses are private, the default gateway points across a WAN to another lot of private ranges, but we have contractors I who have static routes for which i point to the inside of the firewall for their response traffic.
However there are two ways into the network, and two of the contractors ip address point out of another interface to another isdn router which is only up when a contractor dials in.

Since I am setting up more remote access for contractors from one interface specifically, I am trying to route all other non-rfc1918 addresses back out the other interface with the exception of the emergency. This way I wont have to set up a static route each time i set up remote access to point to their internet facing ip address for reply packets.

Cheers,
pinger

with routing the longest prefix match will always be the preferred route..

so you could add more static routes.. just more specific and point them to the next hop that you wish.

it looks like you need some sourced based routing.. and that will require PBR..

here are some sample configs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back