Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: REL 11.0.4 - Short Code - Dial Extension - 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngmorris

Technical User
Apr 18, 2016
TT
I have configured a short code “0” feature “Dial Extension” for the Operator, however, I have several users who get “Call barred”, the only explanation I am seeing is that those users are barred from making international calls beginning with zero. I was of the impression that the feature would look internally and not externally.
Please assist

If they have a user shortcode of 0N or equivalent, this will be matched before the system 0 shortcode for the Operator.

| ACSS SME |

If they have a 0N user shortcode barring international calls I would think a 0 user shortcode would work. If you have a 0N user shortcode but a 0 system shortcode it won't work because user shortcodes override system shortcodes.

Conversely instead of barring 0N only allow 0 for extension so once you hit 0 it dials the operator and won't let you continue to dial... it depends are you barring the 0N at user level or ARS level?

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Pepp77 & critchey...
Thanks for responding, you are both correct, there is a 0N user shortcode and a 0 system shortcode and its barred at ARS level...
That said, how do you only allow the 0 for extension?

Remove the 0N and enable 'outgoing call barr' at the users telephony tab.

Okkie26: I don't want to bar all outgoing calls for the users, only international calls...prefix '0' & '1'

Then use a different code (9) for the receptionist.

Try 0; / Dialextn / Operator's extension number
0N / barred

Perhaps dialing 0 and nothing afterwards will time out and go to the Operator, but an international call starting with 0 will be cut off after the 2nd digit

OK if you use 9 to dial out the 0N shortcode that is barred shouldn't even be in the user shortcode. You should have a second ARS table with 0N barred and users that you want not to make international calls should have a 9N user shortcode pointing to that ARS table. Then the system 0 shortcode will work.

As usual the more information you give the easier it is for us to help.

Critchey - So just to be clear, it should not be Call barred at the User Rights but at ARS table level only, correct?

Personaly I strongly recomend that all call baring is handled at the system level & you then add user shortcodes as overrides to those users who need them.
this means that when a new user is created if you forget to change anything the system "Fails Safe".

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Yes you should be barring the 0N at the ARS level not the user level because you are dialing 9N which goes to the ARS. If you have a 0 shortcode dial the operator then if they dial 0+ a number it will simply dial the operator at 0 and not allow the additional digits anyways.

So the opposite way as I proposed which would also work obviously. Make the default ARS barr 0N and people who dial international you use a user shortcode to override to the ARS that allows it. I guess the question is it more important to barr international calls or allow them as to which way you choose to set it up but either way works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back