Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

re-partitioning server

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
I may need to repartition an existing 2000 server. I have a good backup of the system state and all data folders. I can reformat and partition the drive then install w2k with latest hotfixes and sp then restore from tape and that should do it right? I don't have anything encrypted right now.

thanks.

You must be more spesific in this.

The best way whuld be to make a backup of the WHOLE system.
RePartitoin the harddrive.
Install Windows [don't bother updating it]
Restore the backup.

But know this.
If the backup is 10gb, but your partition is only 8gb, then you cannot restore it!.
REMEMBER to backup your registry aswell!

for more info about backuping stragetry.

Take care, hope you do well on this one! If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

Hi,

I do have a complete backup of the system: C, D, E and system state. I have 3 partitions right now C: 14GB, D: 10 GB and E: 10GB. I want to create 2 instead. Will i be able to restore the information on E to D ? It's data and some misc folders.

thanks again

If you backup E: specialy to it's own backup file.

Then you will be able to do this. If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

First thing i would do is to test out your back up in fact works, because you do not want to discover the stuff you been backing up are only a either problem tape or empty tape

or you can use Partition Magic 7.0 from Power Quest to re-size your partition, if your win2k has no problem.

nothing is better to re-install a fresh copy of win2k.

good luck
Hung

I was originally looking to use powerquest software to re-partition but this is a windows 2000 server and i have been told partition magic 7 doesn't work on servers?

I have already tested backups and they are working fine.

So if i do have to repartition the server and I'm currently backing up the entire C, D and E drives I should be able to restore to C and D where both those partitions would be larger than the current C, D and E?

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back