Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-installing Windows are reformat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

finamarie

MIS
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am trying to re-install WIN98 SE on a hard drive that I reformatted. It starts the install process and then when it gets to the point of copying the files I get an error starting that it already has an operating system and will not complete setup. Please help. Thanks

Hi;

When you re-formatted did you use the /S option ? This would put the system files back on the drive.

Ed

Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

Use the /u suffix. That performs an unconditional format. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

I tried the /u and it is still telling me that it already has an OS and I need the 98 upgrade which I do not have.

Rename win.com to win.bak and install windows.
If that doesn't work, fdisk the drive, remove the partition(s), restart, run fdisk again, and recreate the partition(s), then install windows. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

what you need to do is a low level format first, using fdisk. After that is accomplished you will be able to format the drive and install the new OS.
At least that is how I got around the problem.
Setting up a primary partition. You first must set up your Primary DOS Partition. To do this, type fdisk at the DOS prompt and press ENTER. You then will see a menu with a heading that includes the DOS version number you are working with, the title “Fixed Disk Setup Program,” copyright information, and this FDISK Options menu:

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Choose one of the following:

1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive

2. Set active partition

3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive

4. Display partition information

Enter Choice: [1]

Press Esc to exit FDISK.

Enter choice 3.

After it deletes the active partition, you need to create a new one. So your next choice is to enter 1.
This leaves you with a choice, is your partition going to be the entire drive, or are you going to break it down to smaller partitions. If you desire to run dual OS's I would set up 2 active partitions. You can have up to four active partitions. An active partition is one that is able to boot the system up.
An extended partition can not be used to boot system up. This means that it would be perfect for application software. Since an extended partition allows the creation of "logical" drives you can place a maximum amount of logical drives on the system of (D-Z) with C being the designated active partition.

Another method would be to run
fdisk /mbr
this command recreates the master boot record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back