Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re Installing Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayneparadis

Technical User
Sep 29, 2001
CA
Does anyone have any directions on re-installing (easy to understand) Windows 98. The CD is the one that comes with new computers and should be the full version - not the upgrade.

The computer keeps giving an error message to re-install Windows. As well, the display is on 16 bit and when I try to change the desktop theme or to 256 etc, it remains on 16 bit. The icons are large and the colours aren't clear and concise.

Jayne Paradis
jparadis@mts.net

what error? what is your exact prblem? I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

The colours sound as if the video card drivers are not working/not installed. This usually happens after a clean upgrade and you'll have to re-install all your drivers; sound, modem, cd writer, etc. Make sure you've got all the drivers before you start re-installing!

G'luck

Before you do this make sure you know exactly what devices you have. Soundcard? Mfg? Model #? Video card? NIC? Modem?
If you have the driver disks from the origional load of your computer you should be fine, I would search the net for all the drivers before I blew my machine away to reload windows. I cannot stress how important it is to know what devices and what version of the device you computer currently has. example: 3Com 3C905C-TX Network Card

go to control panel- system icon- device manager and print out your system information

this process will completely remove the current loaded version of windows and will replace it with a brand new install. Be sure you have all personal data backed up to disks before hand.

 Boot to Windows 98 Boot disk (floppy)

 at the A:\ prompt type: a:\format C: /s

 Destroy all data?  Yes (no label)

 After format: go to C:\ and type c:\md win98

 Insert windows98 CD

 Switch to CD drive letter (usually D; or E:)

 at cd drive letter prompt type e:\Cd win98

 E:\win98 copy *.* c:\win98
this action will put the windows cab files on your hard drive making it easier to load software in the future.

swithch back to C:\win98

 c:\ CD win98  type: setup

 after windows loads check device manager and make sure all devices were found correctlyfix any needed drivers

Hello jayneparadis:

When you say that "the CD is the one that comes with new computers", are you referring to a recovery CD that some PC manufacturers use or a Windows 98 CD? If it is a Windows 98 CD, you might check out this link:

Regardless of what type of CD you have, back up the data you can't afford to lose before reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back