Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-installing from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

fchurtic

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
Hi, I need to re-install my Mitel 3300 CXI ii (bought used) system from scratch.

I have:
- The System ID
- The S/N
- The ibuttom is installed

I dont have a mitel online password but I do have CDs from a similar system

Do I need anything else?
Thanks for your help

You will need Application Record in order to download licenses to Controller.

Try resetting password first, then get access to License and Options form and find out Application Record.

I don't think AMC will provide App. Record from SysID.

Then, do a full installation to the same software version previously instaled on controller. If you try to get to the latest load you may be facing an inactive software assurance, watch out!

By the way, are you in Spain?

Regards,

The other issue you face is that if you bought this used then it is likley not to have software assurance which means you MUST install the save version of software that is on the system now. I would be contacting the person you purchased the system from to enquire about the app record access.

Dan, I am in Spain. Are you as well? Limited Mitel know-how here
Best regards

You could try and load from the inactive partition and see if this is the origional load...you will still run into problems though if the AMC account has been deleted by the previous owner....someone on here has access to the AMC that lets them see things on the AMC that we mere mortals don't get from the sys ID.

fchurtic,

I think I´ve heard of your case recently, I am in Spain as well.

Do a reset of the password, get into the system and find out software load and App. Record. If needed do a clean install.

Then, ask AMC to transfer licenses to your account, there´s a minimal charge though.

Good luck,

Dan

Dan,

Is there a place I can send the hard drive and system ID and get the system reinstalled from scratch? That would be extremely helpful as I am really stuck and now it is not longer booting after tinkering with boot parameters
Thank you

fchurtic,

If you are in Madrid you can bring it to the office and I can give you a hand, problem is you don't have the Application Record ID.

Reinstalling software won't do much if you don't have licensing information.

Are you the end user or Mitel Partner?

Have you contacted Mitel office?

Regards,

Just put the boot parameters back to what they should be?

That's right, try putting Boot Params back and then try to reset the password so you can log into the controller.

Regards,

Thanks. I cant either reset the system with "ResetAllLoginPasswords" or similar because they dont work...I really think a re-install is needed calling Mitel to get the license info
I am the end user myself....
Dan, how could I contact you?
Thanks a lot

has anyone had any success getting Mitel to transfer licenses from a system bought 2nd hand, to their control/AMC account?

when asking the question we've been told:
"Licences are non transferrable. They can use the hardware.....but they
will need to purchase a new hardware id.....and licences"

which sounds at odds to danramirez's experience:

"Do a reset of the password, get into the system and find out software load and App. Record. If needed do a clean install.

Then, ask AMC to transfer licenses to your account, there´s a minimal charge though."

we are in Europe, as was the case Dan was commenting about I believe

I had thought there was an argument that if a software company claimed they were only giving you a right to use their software (and not ownership, whereby you could sell it on) then they also had to guarantee it was bug free (which they wouldn't)....

eg there are companies who allow 2nd hand Microsoft licenses to legitimately be transferred

I'd welcome anyone's input, especially from a UK/European perspective

Wait, I was always under the assumption that you can simply take the ibutton out of the old system and move it into the new system. The ibutton is what has the hardware ID on it. I remember a long time ago when I called mitel...I asked them to transfer the licenses of a customer system to another system so we can just load the backup on a spare to reduce downtime. They told us we had to move the ibutton over to the other system.

So given that, you should just be able to pop the ibutton out of the old system and put it in the new system and use the same app record.

Yes , taht is the case BUT we are talking about the app record that is on The AMC under the strict control of Mite. They will not under any circumstances traqnsfer licences in the UK unless you ahve the written permission of the owner of those licences and when you buy on the 'back market' as Mitel quaintly put it they insist that you either relicence or get the written permission of the system owner to transfer the AMC record to your account. So if you buy from anyone except the origional system owner you are a bit stumped unless you can find them and get their permsiion.

Oh gotcha,
I assumed that by "Hi, I need to re-install my Mitel 3300 CXI ii (bought used) system from scratch." he meant that he bought replacement hardware to replace a filed system that he already had. I did not realize the context was that the system was originally bought used. In that case, youre pretty hosed!@

Most likely the best way would be to buy a new system ID and start from scratch as Mitel will not likely allow you access to licenses you don't own.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

I am in the UK and the only success you will have with this is if you are a vendor rather than an end user. We transfer AMC records all the time when we take the maintenance of a system. However to do this you need a letter from the company who's name is on the App record to say you now look after the system on the customers behalf.

Loppylou's suggestion is the only real way forward however, as with any system purchased from Mitel the real value is in the licenses not the hardware.

If you are looking to license as cheaply as possible look at the small business base pack which is great value (16 users, 16 vmail, 1 digital link, 2 SIP trunks) but will limit the number of users to 32 in total if memory serves me correctly

@Wireman50

re: "They will not under any circumstances traqnsfer licences in the UK unless you ahve the written permission of the owner of those licences and when you buy on the 'back market' as Mitel quaintly put it they insist that you either relicence or get the written permission of the system owner to transfer the AMC record to your account"

my scenario is with the the knowledge/permission/consent of the previous owner of the system, eg buying a system from them, on the basis they'll sign whatever Mitel require to say they are willing to transfer the licenses to us

does anyone have definite experience of this being allowed in this scenario? (in the UK/Europe)

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back