Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-installing a Linux server with Microsoft Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgmrw

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2008
I have a Linux Server that I need to format and install Windows XP. If I boot off the CD and try to install I get the initial message :- Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration and then it stops reading the CD and the harddrive light is on but the system just hangs.

I have always found it best to install Windows first, then Linux, when dual booting. Also, it could be that the cd is scratched...

Burt

HI,
I am trying to clear linux off the machine and only run Windows XP. If I put in the CD with LiveCD files on it it won't boot from the CD. If I boot from the harddrive and get into the root how do I run the file from the CD?
Thanks for your help

AFAIK you cant run the CD from the harddrive,
and you also cant reformat the drive while you use it.
Therefore you need to do this booted from another drive or CD.
The reason why it woldnt boot is probably that the BIOS boot-order
is set to first boot from disk.
You need to get into the BIOS of the server and check the boot-order
that is set there.
Make sure that the CD or CD/DVD-drive is listed before the harddrive there.

HTH

Hi,
I have set it to boot from the CD. It tells me there is a media test failure, check cable. (I know the drive works - it has just been replaced.) It then gives me a boot failure and asks for the system disk to be inserted

Have you checked the LiveCD in another machine so you know it works?

Can you get the server to boot (or read) any CD?
Just because you'v replaced the drive doesnt meen it works,
can it be a controller issue?

You also have the option of booting from a USB-stick if the server supports it...

Dude---try the cd in a different computer! It sounds like it is scratched, like I said! If not, then shame on me...lol
You are having trouble removing Linux likely because if you were dual booting, you may have inadvertently set it up to use Lilo (or even Grub) with a chainloader. This will goof things up! I lost a mirror before because of this!

Burt

Thanks a lot for your help.
Thru trial and error I got the LiveCD to work and managed to repartition the drives and load Windows.
Thanks

Just as a side note -- the Windows XP discs are notorious for freaking out when they find any type of linux partitioning on a hard drive. I have found whenever I convert a machine from Linux back to Windows I MUST use a livecd or some type of partitioning utility to either wipe the drive of everything, or repartition it with some FAT or NTFS based partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back