Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-install of XP Pro on Dell Dimension 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNorman

Programmer
Feb 7, 2005
US
Several months back I installed SP 2 and it screwed some things up, some of which I have fixed. However, System Restore, Scheduler, some email functions and a few other things still don't work. From what I've researched I have to do an XP reinstall with the original disk.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and all the original disks that came with it as well as all the original disks of everything else currently installed. I also have the SP 2 disk so I won't have to do it over the internet again.

Here is a list of what I think I need to do and the order I must do it in but I would like some expert help before diving into it...
Back up files
Back up emails
Back up email addresses
Back up cookies
Back up Favorites
Back up passwords for emails and others
Back up registry
Read about Norton Internet Security 2004

Disconnect External Hard-drive
Disconnect from Network
Disconnect printer

Reinstall original OS(Not sure how to do this. I've read several differen ways it's supposed to be done...all of which claim to be easy which of course has me worried.)

Install drivers in following order(Do I need to do this? Shouldn't the install take care it? This is one of those sources I read about doing a reinstall.)
1. Intel Chipset
2. Video Card
3. Sound Card
4. Modem
5. Network Card
6. Keyboard and Mouse

Install XP SP 2 from disk I ordered through mail.

Go to MSN and do an update.

Reinstall/Update everything else:
Office
Norton
Miscellaneous stuff

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend you to do an inplace reinstall ontop of your current files saving everything you have installed etc. All you might need is special drivers.

Information about windows xp repair install

If that doesn't work make sure you have everything you need to save backed up and make sure you have all necessery drivers handy, as you might find yourself missing modem or network drivers stoping you from getting on the net to download them.

Your step list looks good to me if you have to go down that road.

Good luck!

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Thanks Jump1ng,
I appreciate the link and it appears I've got more reading to do.

Dumb Questions
1.) The CD which came with my system says "Reinstallation CD Mocrosoft Windows XP Professional Including Service Pack 1." This is an OEM correct?

The link you provided says "OEM Restore disks or hidden restore folders on the hard drive will not work for the Repair Install."

2.) Can I use this OEM CD or do I have to buy a new one?

Thanks again.

Hmm ... if you having problems with the OS i wouldnt bother installing over the top, its more hastle than its worst ... its good practice to scrap the system to clean every once in a while anyway to keep things running smoothly.

As sugested just back-up all your critical files, then whack the DELL OS cd into your drive and re-boot the system, this should then launch the windows setup, choose the install option, not repair.

Then when asked if you want to format the hard drive then choose yes and format in NTFS.

Foolow the on-screen instructions, once windows is running first things first ... stick your DELL drivers disk in and install all of the drivers for your devices.

This is actualy alot easier than it seems PNorman ... never fear ... so long as you have all your data backed up your wont do any perminant damage.

Rob

Well if it is a CD provided with the system from the likes of Dell you can't do the repair option as it automatically starts a fresh install of the OS.

TamedTech...yes that was true for Windows 98/ME but for systems running Windows 2k/xp you shouldn't have to SCRAP the system. With a bit of tlc a Windows XP system will run fine for months after months.

To go back to the OP if thats the only CD you have backup the things you need to keep then do the install. Good thing with these OEM disks is that it usually have all your drivers on them that you need, or since its Dell you should have an additional cd with drivers.

Make sure that you have drivers for any additional devices you have added to the system. Have fun reinstalling the system.

Ohh make sure and check atleast 3 extra times that you have EVERYTHING you need backuped...I usually end up finding stuff I forgot to backup when I need it...

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Thanks much, yes I've been checking and re-checking things to back-up.

So I just put in the CD and follow the directions to do an install?

I do have a Drivers CD but now I have another question... I have another PC(another DELL) where I zapped it and re-installed 98 but the Drivers CD was pretty bogus. I popped it in and got a menu and expected me to know what drivers to install. This was a royal pain. Am I going to have the same issues again?

Thanks again.

PNorman,

I agree with regards to the Dell driver cd. I always check the Device Manager after I install the OS to determine which drivers I need, then I go to Dell's web page and just download the drivers I need and install them from the downloads. This of course will only work if you have another computer to access the Dell web page.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

If you are able to lay your hands on a copy of Norton Ghost (or similar) you could do a backup of everything before you start. Alternatively do a XCOPY of all files to your external hard disk.

Then make a list of the main components in your system as they appear in device manager. The main ones are the graphics card, network card, modem and sound card. On the action menu in device manager you can print a list of all your devices.

Do a clean install of XP. During the install process delete all of the existing partitions and format with NTFS as others have also recommended. When the install is complete go to the Windows update site and install all of the critical updates.

If you have a problem with any of your devices after completing the above you can go to the Dell web site and put in your system tag number. This will help you to locate the correct (and up to date) drivers for the installed components.

The older DELL drivers disks were terrible .... but i found that on the newer systems they are much easier to use.

Just go for it!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back