Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: HP ux 11.00 password problems, 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTreme43

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
US
Well got the new 712/60 all hooked up and got the monitor to work (640 X 800 res :( and it came up to the login screen... I have no user or pass, any way to get "around this" with out having to reinstall (he "forgot" to send the disk(s) with it???))

anyhelp would be appreciated

Hi

Interrupt a boot and go to single user, then reset it from there.

Queenie

i got it now, but it tells me that my password file is in use (when i try to add a non root user to the system)....

other than that, how would i disable the onboard lan (for now)????

Not sure what you mean by the passwd file is in use. What are you trying to do?
As far as the lan card issue...

# ipconfig lanX down

lanX being lan0 or lan1 or whatever lan davice you are working with.

crowe

Hi,

If you don't have a password for the root/any user, then you need to boot into single user to reset root's password. Then you can bring it up into multiuser and setup any accounts that you require.
To boot into single user, power cycle your machine and
when prompted to interrupt the boot process
You have to:
1) stop the booting
2) On the Main Menu boot from the primary boot:
bo pri
3) When the system ask you: Interact with IPL you must type Y
4) at the prompt of IPL you have to type:
hpux -is
5) When the machine comes up, change the root passwd
passwd /
6) Take into multiuser
init runlevel (where runlevel is the initdefault in /etc/inittab, usually 3)
or
6) Reboot and let it come back up into multiuser, so that you can login
shutdown -r 0

Hope this helps
Queenie

I have a tricky problem:
I can't boot an HPUX 10.20.,I can not get in single user mode.The system can't find the"/stand/vmunix" file.
All that I can see on the screen is the prompter from the "ISL".I can't neither boot from the "desaster recovery tape".
who can help me?

Googy
You better start new thread.
I can see only one way, installing new OS. May be disk is bed.
Connect CDrom or Tapedrive and type search at command prompt when you interrupt boot sequence then type bo <address of CDROM>

Patel

I have a HP D390 machine with HP-Ux 11.0 loaded; root password is unknown; I booted the machine thru ISL, single user mode and when I use 'passwd root' it is asking for 'Old Passwd'! Removing * for root in /etc/passwd did not help. I would appreciate if anyone helps me resetting root passwd.

Hello:

I´d try the following: enter in single mode, add a new user, modify /etc/passwd and set his uid as 0 and then in normal mode reset root password and remove the user added.

I hope this help.

the reason you are being prompted for the old passwd is that C2 security is enabled on this system. Once you have booted into single user, you will need to edit the /tcb/files/auth/r/root file. You will need to vi the file and clear the :u_pwd= field in order to effectivly &quot;clear&quot; roots passwd. The other option is to un-convert the system back into a non-C2 secure system, and then a traditional passwd root will NOT prompt you for the OLD passwd. This can be done through sam, or on the command line with /etc/tsconvert -r

crowe

Thanks for the fast response of Mariocq and Crowe!
Corwe's solution helped me to reset the root passwd by removing :u_pwd= field.
Appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back