Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

re-formating DELL poweredge 6350 - RAID 5- prob seeing hard drives 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flygirl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2001
US
So Nimda hit us hard. I need to rebuild this server (Dell PowerEdge 6350) as WINNT 4.0 server. It is configured RAID5, I have fdisked to make new clean partitions, I then go to install NT server....the Adaptec SCSI controller is found, then no hard srives are found. The message says something about using a manufacturer install or setup/diagnostic disk utility. It tells me to check that any hard drives are turned on and/or are properly connected.

I have run a disk manager and filled the drive with zeros, to no avail on the advice of the drive manufacturer. Still I get the same message and cannot procede with the rebuild.

Does anyone have any advice on what is causing this? Do I need to reinstall the PERC drivers and re-setup RAID or something....

Thanks for the help!
Flygirl

Hi,
You say the Adaptec scsi controller is seen at boot but no hard drives are seen - this is expected as the drives are connected to the raid controller.Is the raid controller also seen at boot - if so press control M when prmpted and select view/add configuration to make sure all drives are seen and that the raid is set up.

You will also need to reinstall the perc drives - you can get these at

Thanks John!
I ran the RAID config and the drives were seen there, when I then go to install the OS, I get the same message that hard drives cannot be found. I cannot get the PERC drivers on since there is currently no OS. I have tried the PERC Configuration disk, and it doesn't find any adapters....

Confused.

thanks,
Flygirl

You could try reloading the raid - to do this select new configuration ( this will clear the existing raid) and select all the drives that you want in the raid. Once this is done you must initalize the raid - there is an option to do this in control M.

You can load the perc drivers during OS install by pressing F6 and loading the drivers from a diskette.

Your other best bet is to use the Dell Server Management CD (Green CD). It's Dell version of the Unattend. It loads all Dell software and NT. You can build a server in 20 minutes with this CD. After using it, I still would recommend reinstalling SP 6aH.

If you choose not to use the green DELL Server Management CD then you will need to press the F6 key when the NT CD loads and the installation begins. In fact press it several time to make sure you catch it. If you are not given the opportunity to load "mass storage device" drivers before the NT installation begins, you will get the same message. Simply reboot and press F6 at the start of the installation.
Good Luck.

Thanks for all your help. The green cd worked like a charm. We ended up flashing an upgraded BIOS & ESM first, then applied the green cd.....and our machine is up and running perfectly now.

thanks for your help!
Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back