Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: Creating a RECORDSET - problem with .txt flat file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garymgordon

Programmer
Apr 5, 2000
US
Well, I have a .txt file that I am trying to create a Recordset for. I can connect to the .txt file with no problem.

Situation:

1) The .txt file is in a fixed length format.
2) ASCII format.
3) No Column Headers.

That's the basics.

The name of the table is Data.txt .

I have a Schema.ini file that is working just fine. It displays all the columns, etc.

But, when I try to create a Recordset .. I get an error due to the fact that it is putting " null " in front of the name of the file because there is no TABLE.

It is looking for:

SELECT *
FROM null.Data.txt

and of course, the file is named Data.txt not null.Data.txt.

When I go into the advanced section and remove the " null. " from the code .. everything is fine.

MY QUESTION IS ....

Is there a way to work with Dreamweaver MX that will allow it NOT to do this... meaning NOT to put " null. " in front of the file name?

What's up with this???

Help ... please.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary M. Gordon, LLC
webmaster@garymgordon.com
Certified Web Developer ::
Application Programmer

Maybe you should try to enclose your table name with ''

SELECT *
FROM 'Data.txt'

If the Dreamweaver keep altering your code, try to save all your changes and edit your file using a text editor for your future amendments.

sherly,

Have you ever tried setting up a connection to a TXT file?

If so, did you find this problem where Dreamweaver puts "null." before the name of the flat file ... I am presuming because it can't find any TABLES, per-say??

I am trying to find out if it is something I am doing? Is it a bug?? Is there a way to prevent Dreamweaver (when I am creating the connection string, and setting up Recordsets, etc. to stop putting null.databaseName.txt when it should simply be databaseName.txt.

Any ideas??? I don't know how to use the quote thing your talking about except if I go into the hard coded area, which I can do, but I want to avoid and let Dreamweaver do it properly. Make sense?? Just want to know why Dreamweaver is doing this. Maybe I can do something that eliminate the problem.

Gary
Gary M. Gordon, LLC
webmaster@garymgordon.com
Certified Web Developer ::
Application Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back