Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: CD-writing problem with LG GCC-4521B DVD writer and Nero Suite 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkt

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
CA
One of my customers said that he could no longer write CD-Rs and CD-RWs using Nero Suite 6 and an LG GCC-4521B CD writer, the latter of which he had been using since mid-March 2004. This problem appeared earlier in September 2004. He gave me a snapshot of Nero's log, which reads (with times omitted):
[ul]
[li]HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B
Buffer Underrun Protection activated[/li]
[li]Caching of files started[/li]
[li]Caching of files completed[/li]
[li]Burn process started at 4x (600 KB/s)[/li]
[li]Write error[/li]
[li]Invalid write state
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B\H1 T0[/li]
[li]Could not perform EndTrack[/li]
[li]Session fixation error[/li]
[li]Could not perform Fixation[/li]
[li]Burn process failed at 4x (600 KB/s)[/li]
[/ul]
What can the problem be? I can't figure it out for the life of me. The only lead I have is that my customer's computer is running rather hot (the last time I checked his computer's BIOS, the CPU temperature was somewhere between 48[°]C and 52[°]C [ignore][or was that the motherboard temperature?][/ignore]), and he refuses to turn on the case fans included with the case he bought because he wants to keep noise from his PC to a minimum.

Can anybody help me? Thank you very much!

If you are talking about an AMD CPU here, some may argue that the temperatures are somewhat high, but they are within a reasonable operating range. One you exceed 60C you should worry. I'll leave it to others if you are discussing Intel as I'm not familiar with their operating temperature specs.

One thing that I see is "Burn process started at 4x (600 KB/s)". 4X these days is awfully slow. Could this possibly be a media incompatibility issue?

My customer's computer has a Pentium 4 3.2C GHz (Northwood) processor. As for the write speed, either he was using an older disc (he didn't tell me what disc he was using; at this point, he may not even remember) or I had suggested he tried writing at a slower speed, since doing so helped me when I had a problem with one of my own CD writers.

You say it used to work, did he change brand of media recently?

No, he said he had been using the same brand of CD-Rs for the past six months. He did, however, mention that he happened to be displeased with those discs, so I suggested he try a brand-name CD-RW.

This is a 52x writer and 32x re-writer, why is he using 4x media? If he is using 52x media and the unit is defaulting to 4x, this shows a serious problem between the writer and media. Did you try a lens cleaner?

I did not know what sort of CD-RW he was using that time; he didn't tell me. Anyway, thanks for suggesting I try a lens cleaner. I'll give it a shot.

4x speed is the standard for DVD writing, either Nero thinks its a DVDR in the drive, or you have ghosts !!!! No not really I would suspect Firmware for the LG drive get the latest from LG site as there appears to be a lot of stuff if you do a google search for HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B the proccess is easy just follow instructions for flashing firmware, and the temperature of the PC is not high enuff to be an issue however coolermaster do so very nice silent fans.

Burn process started at 4x (600 KB/s)" indicates a CD 4x data transfer rate. 4X DVD transfer rate is somewhere around 5500 KB/s.

One of my suppliers has a [“]dry[”] CD-drive cleaner and a [“]wet[”] CD-drive cleaner that uses some kind of solution. I am hesitant to try the [“]wet[”] cleaner[—]I am wary of putting anything wet inside a CD or DVD drive. Has anybody had experience with this so-called [“]wet[”] CD-drive cleaner? Would a CD-drive cleaner work with DVD drives, as well? I imagine it would, but I would like to be sure. Thanks!

I use a "dry" cleaner. All it is is a CD with a small brush mounted in the center to remove any dust from the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back