Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-booting Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex0628

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
The primary domain file server is having performance problems, (Explorer does not function, can't do anything except run Task Manager), but everyone is still able to access the files. (There also is a secondary domain server that has AD on it. It's running fine.) I want to re-boot the primary domain server. If I tell everyone to not have any files open on the primary server, (most of their files are on this server), can I perform a warm re-boot without having anyone re-boot their computers? (Most users are on Windows 2000 Pro. Only a few are still using Windows 98.)

all i can say, is i do it. i just tell users not to save anything, when server comes bk up...they are bk on and alls well.

They can leave their files open when I trigger the re-boot? (Restart, not a shut down.) It won't harm anything as long as a file isn't being written to the server at that time?

To add to that question, some users are not using files on this server. They are only using files on the secondary domain server which houses their Microsoft SQL database and another Web server which has the wep app on it. Since AD sits on the secondary server, these users should not even be affected when I re-boot the primary. They can go on working like nothing happened. Right?

yes, has been my experience so far. i just send a message saying i'm rebooting server (yes, restart not coldboot) and sit tight. when back up, they continue to work. if they try to save, they get the message that network drives can not be located. but no one has lost anything that i am aware. i only have the one server...win2000...that everyone resides on, so just can't say for sure on the behavior of your other servers.

one thing.. just as i'm reading this.. one thing to keep in mind is that domain controllers in 2000 do not work as a generic primary and secondary.

when you are logging in, you could be using either to authenticate or create your profile and inherit group policy from.

everything in replicated between the two to work in unison.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Thanks. The re-boot went without a hitch. I did have to do a cold boot. The server would not shut down on a restart. But everyone was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back