Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re-boot Exchange 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashish2002

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
US
Hello Guys,

This is a really stupid question I am asking. Do I need to stop any services before I re-boot the Exchange server or start any after I re-boot the server. What I am asking is that is there a proper procedure to reboot Exchange Server.

Thanks!
Ash

Recommended is/was (mostly on Exchange 5.5) to stop the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant first.
But I must say it never gave any of the Exch.2000 servers I rebooted any problem whatsoever to just reboot.
This also mostly to do with Windows 2000 acting much cleaner in the shutdown process as an NT 4 server used to be.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Also, unless someone has manually changed the Exchange services, they are set to start automatically when the system starts so you shouldn't have to restart them manually.

I usually stop the Exchange services before rebooting as they can take a long time to shut down. Once they're shut off, the server reboots pretty much like a normal Windows server. That way I don't have any anxiety over whether the server is shutting down or hung...

Generally, though, it eventually shuts down and restarts normally.

Hello Guys,

Thank you very much for all of your response. I really appreciate the help. Thanks once again.

Ash

BTW, the easy way to stop these services is:
iisreset /stop

-Mike

My Exchange 2000 box won't restart the service automatically, and the M drive takes about 10 minutes to appear. Is this normal? I don't see anything in the event logs referring to Exchange. I have to manual start the information store despite it being set to automatic.

retto, please start your own thread as this is off-topic and is confusing.
While you are at it, respond to the members trying to help you in your other threads. It is considered very rude not to answer questions!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back