Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Re: AIX File Limit Size (affecting Oracle Backups)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOG

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Hi folks,

I have 9i OEM running on PC and I have scheduled backups to run every night. All other scheduled jobs ran fine except for one.

I think it is something to do with file ulimit? Does this make any sense to you? For some reason AIX has limit file size? Why?

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command: backup
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel c1
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19504: failed to create file "/backup/physical/friday/b_05dvo4pv_5_1"
ORA-27039: create file failed, file size limit reached
Additional information: 1
RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE

This error is affecting a backup set file to be created, unless something is sorted with the file limit size?

At the moment, the file ulimit on F50 is

$ ulimit

Can you help me here please, I have searched everything on oracle metalink but nothing relevant to help me.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Katherine

Type -1 at "soft file size" (in stead of 2097151).
It will be unlimited.

gr. Peter

Hi gr. Peter

I dont understand what I should do?

Type -1 after ??

Regards

Katherine

AS the above to posts have mentioned ,
1. check if you have large enabled filesystem that supports files created > 2GB

2. Change fsize paramter in /etc/security/limits file to -1
which means unlimited size for the user affected
i.e. if you want this paramter to affect all users change default settings fsize to -1 or add/change entry for user
i.e. oracle:
fsize = -1

you must log out and log back in as the user for the change to take affect.

Hi,

Will that affect current user's transactions if I change it during db operating hours?

Or should that be altered outside operating hours?

I will drop the /backup filesystem and recrete large enabled filesystem.

Is that a good idea?

Cheers

Katherine

The best way to make sure that ulimit changes take effect is to shut down your databases and log off the Oracle account. The ulimit is a session value set when you login, so changing it in SMIT won't change it for anything that's currently running.

Hello Chapter11

Will do it later this evening, many thanks

Cheers

Katherine

It will be ideal if you can recreate the filesystem as Large File enabled. This cannot be done on the fly in AIX.
Changing the characteristics of /etc/security/limits will only affect Oracle activities if Oracle is stopped and restarted. The users who access Oracle tables must log out and back into UNIX if they need to write files larger than 2 gb (and you've changed their limits as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back