Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rds.exe takes up 99% of the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errorwin

Technical User
May 21, 2004
NL
I've installed a new backup unit in the server of a customer. An HP Surestore VS80 SCSI unit. I ran the SP5 update and the Post SP5 driver update. A test job ran just fine. Only it took a long time to update the database. So I stopped the job using the Arcserve Manager. It stopped without any errors. When I restarted the machine the rds.exe was running at 99% of my CPU capacity. The only we to stop it was to disable all the Arcserve services and reboot the machine. I think RDS.exe is the Raima database engine. I wish to keep the databases for future reference. But if I want to repair it I need the database engine to be online.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to repair the database without having the engine online?
2. If I move the DB and restart the services will Arcserve automatically generate a new database?
3. How is it possible that it runs fine directly after the update but take up full CPU time after a reboot?

Hi,

I can only answer to question 3.
I'm not sure of the other. I prefear to keep silent than tell you errors. ;o)

I think this is normal. When you stopped (reboot) the Database service the queue was not empty.
When it comes back the queue needs to be executed...

If it helps ;o)

Fredje

1)no
2)no - install ARCserve on a different system and then you have a blank database which you can copy in.

I've already solved the problem. It was related to the database of Arcserve. All you had to do was disable de arcserve database service. Reboot the server. Then remove rdm.chi and rdm.chk. Also remove all the.chg files. Enable and restart the service. And all works again. because a dbfix gave a lot of errors in the database I reinitialised all the db's and it works just fine now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back