Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP USB redirection for 2008R2 RDS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepc

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend a good USB over RDP redirection software for Windows 2008R2 RDS. We looking for USB scanner redirection.

Is the scanner not working with the built-in USB redirection? I seem to recall Microsoft making a big deal about this feature when 2008 R2 was released. I know that not all devices work perfectly with it, but I haven't seen many that didn't.

The only other option that I've tried is using Quest vWorkspace, which is probably way overkill for what you need. It's really more of a unified Terminal Services and VDI solution, i.e., it includes its own RDP client, connection broker, and proprietary RDP protocol that is optimized for multimedia and better USB compatibility. I worked with one client who had tried nearly every solution out there to get their USB fingerprint scanners to work via RDP and USB redirection, and vWorkspace was the only thing (at the time) that had them working correctly.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Yeah MS has remotefx for RDS but it needed Hyper-V to install and we are using VMware. For thin clients we use the Wyse TCX suite which actually works great but it only works with their thin clients...

There a just a lot of scanners that we need to connect so I really want to use a solid solution.

RemoteFX has nothing to do with USB redirection. It's about rich media/graphics redirection/processing with special 3D cards.

Well look at that! I stand corrected.

What type of scanners are we talking about here, there could be a compatiblity issue between the scanner and the client? We have a lot of bar code scanners installed on our wyse thin clients and they work great, old clients and new, I was skeptical at first of them working.

Now I have used some of the features of remotefx on a server I setup on vmware, but I was only going after the graphics side of it. Sorry to say I didn't test the USB functionality but it should still redirect the USB, the problem that I see a lot of is if you are trying to use something like an HP all-in-one most of them have a host based driver that won't redirect properly to terminal services.

I am curious about this TCX software I haven't looked into that do you need specific WYSE clients for this to work? Sorry not trying to highjack the thread.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back