Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP issue. any advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannaBgeeksquad

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
im running a mail server right now and a client is gonna be leaving soon for a month. he basically wants to RDP to his pc from home. how do i forward the ports on my linxus router to ensure that this only accesses his computer. i need this to be as secure as possible also..

any server changes i need to make??

hes not on the attached to my domain yet, would it be easier if he was??

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you just want to forward port 3389 (for Remote Desktop) on your Linksys router to the IP address of his computer. If you had a fancier router, you could use a firewall rule to lock down RDP to only his IP address...but if it's a Linksys router (not sure you were saying Linksys or Linux) then you don't have that much control.

But simply forwarding port 3389 (start port and end port are both 3389) to the IP address of his machine (hopefully it's static, or if it's dynamic hopefully it doesn't change) will do the job. He will then RDP to the public WAN IP address of your Linksys router (or DNS name on the Internet of that IP) and he should be all set.

Make sure you check the 'Enabled' box when forwarding the port in your Linksys router to activate that rule. Good luck.

Scott

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

More secure would be to use some kind of VPN (for example OpenVPN :))...

i thought i needed a dedicated vpn box in order to set up a vpn network behind my router??

No, you don't. BUT - if you use a VPN, your organization is legally responsible for what's on the machines connecting. Including licensing.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

OpenVPN is simple software-only VPN solution, suitable for Windows and Linux. :)

See for your self
OpenVPN has several advantage over MS VPN...

DavisNT, could you explain the main benefits of using OpenVPN vs. MS VPN in a Windows network? The main benefit that I see of using MS VPN on a Windows network is the one time authentication to Active Directory, you are authenticated to the entire network. That's very important for our end users, which is who the VPN is really made for.

Could you share some info with us on how maybe other VPN solutions integrate with Active Directory?

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

i ended up going with gotomypc.com, seems to be pretty well maintained and functioning just right. does anyone know any flaws i might run into with this service, or any heads up io would need??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back