Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDO - use to manipulate Access objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahliana

Programmer
Sep 4, 2002
US
I need to have a VB executable copy several modules and a form from one mdb to another. I need to replace existing objects (or copy them in, delete the old ones, and rename the new ones). I'm thinking I should use RDO at this time, since I believe it's MS's current ODBC wrapper of choice. I'm looking for generic code examples, but seem to be coming up short.

I almost feel like I'm way too close to this to see something obvious, so please feel free to tell me. I appreciate any (helpful) suggestions.

Ahliana
Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours! - Richard Bach

I've never seen an RDO solution but what you'll probably need to use for this is the Access object model. I can piece together a solution for this but it might be a little while.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

What's happening is that we have deployed an Access application, and we send out updates that must be processed BY the application. Well...it can't update objects (modules, code behine forms) of something that is loaded into memory, it will generate a duplicate definition error.

So I am creating a tiny vb executable that will be called, then the access app will close, the vb app will copy those few objects that can't be copied from within the access app because they would be loaded in memory, then the vb app will close and reopen the access app. Simple, right? ;-)

It seems that I have opened a database and copied objects probably numerous times, but my fried brain is balking today.

Have I made everything as clear as mud?

Ahliana

Ok, maybe I missed the big concept here. I was thinking RDO could manipulate access objects. RDO is JUST for datasets, isn't it? I do enough Access and VB and other things that they ran together in my brain this morning.

Ergh, I think I'll slink away now while I'm behind. Yes, of course I need to acces the Access data model. Ok, I knew my brain was fried, you were right, I was too freakin' close to see the house in front of my nose.

Looking at the RDO object model made it all much clearer. Thanks for your help, I should be able to access the Access model myself.

*goes off to look for her brain, which must be backed up around here somewhere*

Ahliana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back