Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rdesktop disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

dloz

Technical User
Apr 12, 2005
US
I don't know if it's possible but when I close an rdesktop session it logs me out of the server completely. Does anyone know of a way to kill an rdesktop window and be able to reconnect to the same session later without using the windows disconnect option.

Since no one else answered yet...

I'm sorry that I don't know about rdesktop, but vnc will work that way.

Mark

I think just closing the program will leave the session running at the computer and closes the connection only. Maybe this a server-only thing, I don't know. Just try...

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Sounds like an issue with the host. I use rdesktop extensively with desktops and servers without experiencing the behavior you've described. It's probably a group policy or similar.

Have you tried the M$ RDP client to troubleshoot the issue?

Have Fun! [pipe]

No. I use tsclient (running under Ubuntu). But I noticed that if I log out of a Windows server (using the log out button), it just disconnects me, whereas my desktop PC at the office will try to backup my user profile to the network, and close the machine to a state where you can only login again.

I think this is a Windows thing. It would make sense that a server does not try to write the profile to the server, because he is the server himself. I guess the OS has some flags that tell whether the PC is usually on or usually switched off after work.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

I found the problem in case any one else has the same problem here is what was happening. My gpo was set to log-off anyone that was disconnected but not logged off for more than a day. I'm not sure why it was logging me off imediately if I did not disconnect in the manner that M$ wanted me too but onve I changed this setting in the gpo it disconnected and reconnected fine.

~$ wtf gpo
Gee... I don't know what gpo means...

Sorry. What is a gpo?

Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Group Policy Object. It's on the microsoft server side and controls how people connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back