Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rcp copies between SCO UNIX and HP-UX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawebley

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
GB
We have 2 in-house UNIX servers, one running SCO UNIX version 3.2v5.0.6 networked ith a HP-UX B.10.20 C 9000/811 2011445564. This is the first time ever that I have used HP-UX. I have created a user account on both machines, created ".rhost" files within the home directories on both machines. With one account the rcp command to transfer between the machines works in both directions, however using another account allows me to receive files but not send them using the rcp command. I have compared the various permissions, i.e on the home directories, the .rhost files and the entries within them but can see absolutely no diff. This may be due to a lack of knowledge of the ins-and-outs of HP-UX. Will be grateful for any help I receive.

richard.webley@kenure.co.uk

Thanks for the respone to my earlier query guys!

What is the error message ?
Can you execute rcmd(SCO) or remsh(HP) ?

On the SCO server:
As root I can execute rcmd to the HP server
The user "shaun" can execute rcmd to the HP server

On the HP server:
As root and "richard" I can execute remsh to the Unix server
The user "shaun" cannot execute remsh to the Unix server and gets the message permission denied. I have even deleted the account "shaun" on the HP Server and re-create it bu still get the same error!

Thus the user "shaun" only works one-way!

On the HP, can the "shaun" user execute a remsh to the HP server ?
On the SCO you may consider to use /etc/hosts.equiv instead of .rhosts in shaun's home directory.
BTW the .rhosts file in shaun's home directory is owned by shaun and writable only by shaun (644 or rw-r--r--) ?

On the HP machine the user "shaun" can execute a remsh to itself. i.e
on hp machine
remsh hp_server 'l /' > file_on_hp_server

Have checked the .rhosts and hosts.equiv

Not sure how to close threads. I have at last discovered what the problem is. Sorted it myself!For some reason on the SCO server side, the account "shaun" had an id set to that of root. However if you looked at the id it wasn't set to 0 (which didn't make any sense at all) "scoadmin" wouldn't let me delete the user as it said it was root. The only way I could delete and recreate the account was to delete the account was via root using "userdel shaun".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back