Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rcmd: socket: Permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Jul 12, 2000
CA
Hi There!

Been getting this error "rcmd: socket: Permission denied"
on every machine that logs onto my SCO 6.0 Server through telnet session.
Not sure how to troubleshoot this or where to start to look for the actual problem.

Any help be very appreciated

I would look in the startup scripts for all users. I suspect there is a rsh without the proper permissions.

Can the SCO box telnet to itself?

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

motoslide

Yes, it can telnet to itself.

I was looking at SCO web site and their knowledge base
is recomending to check this:

Check the permissions for rlogin under /usr/bin. The permissions
should look like this:
-rws--x--x 1 root bin rlogin
^
|---------
|
Make sure this is present, as the userid bit needs to be set. If it is not set, or the permissions are wrong, then do the
following:
chmod 4711 /usr/bin/rlogin
Also, from single user mode, run the command:
fixperm -cs /etc/perms/tcprt

My permissions are as follow:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 37 Oct 13 2006 rlogin -> /opt/K/SCO/tcp/6.0.0Ni/usr/bin/rlogin

I think I have higher level of permissions then recomended or am I missing something here?

Any ideas

Thanks

elgrandeperro

Where is that startup script? Are you talking about logon script or is that something else.

Thanks

telnet and rlogin are 2 different beasts. telnet should never invoke rcmd/rsh/rlogin.

180990 said:
My permissions are as follow:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 37 Oct 13 2006 rlogin -> /opt/K/SCO/tcp/6.0.0Ni/usr/bin/rlogin

I think I have higher level of permissions then recomended or am I missing something here?
Those aren't the file's permissions; that's a symlink, and symlinks always show up with 0777 permissions. You're looking for the permissions on the file it's pointing to ([tt]/opt/K/SCO/tcp/6.0.0Ni/usr/bin/rlogin[/tt], if that's not also a symlink).

I am confused.

Are you using telnet or rlogin?

Does the telnet/rlogin work then you get the error message?

I'm equally confused about this particular symptom.
Can you explain the steps taken and when you get the error?

Does it happen for all user accounts? Can you post an example of a user's /etc/passwd entry and their .profile script? You can mask the actual login ID, but it would be good to see the entry.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back