Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RCC SQL 2005 Server errors 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebird Scrambler

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
GB
I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is just customer related, but one of my customers has many BCM 400 systems version 4.0 and most use RCC. Recently within the past week, there have been 3 sites that have had RCC faulures.

All three seem to be pointing to Microsoft SQL 2005 Server as the cause. The only thing that seems to be a link is that the three all have system patch 027 (One has 028), but all have Desktop 017 applied.

One of the sites has failed yesterday, yet it was last patched as above on the 14th July by myself. I can't see that would be the cause of the RCC failure. I'm interested to hear if this is a wider issue rather than a local one?.

The customer has also logged into one of the other sites and has reported that the application on the RCC Server called 'ReportingServicesService.exe' is consistently taking up 100% of CPU.

Also the customer has reported that he has restarted the SQL service and now the WallboardRriver.exe is taking up all the CPU processing power on the RCC Server.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Hi,

recommend you still look at each one on a case by case basis. The problem would depend on what you are experiencing. Your patching it 14th July is unlikely to be the cause if thats what you are concerned with.

I recall a problem where reportingservicesservice was using a lot of processor. By default it logs any problems, there is a method to turn logging off - just cannot recall. If problem with cannot decrypt symetric key (which is a common problem), this will cause excessive log files to be generated and might fill the hard disk. You'd need to clear the files and resolve the cannot decrypt the key, to settle processor.

In terms of the wallboarddriver, ensure on RCC any wallboards configured are actually used and delete any that are not, plus change the interval to 3 seconds, not 1, see if that helps.

regards
paul

any success with the stuff i emailed?

regards
paul

Many thanks for the very useful files, but the customer came back with the following report below.

After changing the user that runs the RCCSQLEXPR service the process wouldn't run.
I had to delete everything and reload to get it working.

The last statement on the instructions for the fix is to 'decrypt the encryption key' but there are no instructions on how to do this so this may be why it wouldn't work for me.

I'm going to site tomorrow and will attempt to reload the RCC using the software taken from another BCM 400 that has an earlier version and that hasn't had any issues.

The reason might still be the RCC build and SQL 2005.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Installing an old mysql4 version on top of rcc based on microsoft sql would (in my humble opinion) be a mistake. You could install old version of RCC on another PC, providing you stop RCCLauncher first. However RCC based on mysql4 is very very chatty causing the database to fill excessively eventually, which eventually result in reports taking long time to process and eventually time out. You then have the task of compressing the database (part of the upgrade) however this could take days, during which RCC is unavailable for use. Hopefully the solution doc I emailed will resolve. I have other possible solution if this still fails.

PKellow

You are truly a genius!. Your guide on the RCC SQL 2005 key encryption worked like a dream. I got it up and working within 20 minutes from arriving on site. Later on, I followed the guide again to create another account user and did the alterations as advised.

I also tested it out with the RCC verification tool, rebooted the RCC a few times for good measure and the ACD supervisors were happy bunnies!.

I can’t thank YOU enough for your help over the past few days. What I’ll do next, is to combine your two guides into one word doc file for others to follow it.

Take care

David

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Firebird Scrambler
Im Looking forward to someone creating sensible guides on RCC problems.

PKellow
"You then have the task of compressing the database (part of the upgrade) however this could take days, during which RCC is unavailable for use".

I had this problem and it took 4 days before the system would let me continue the rest of the RCC installation.
I didnt Know what was happening and my Tech Support just kept telling me to wait.................................................................................................................................................... 4 days later...

Keep up the good work and ideas..

Snowman50 and others, I've compiled a guide tonight and will check to see if I can pass it on. Have you contacted me via my link below in the past?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Firebird Scrambler

No afraid not..

I just copy paste info from the forum sites responses.
You never Know when you will need it..

pkellow, i joined this community specifically for your solution to this annoying problem.
I really need your guide on the RCC SQL 2005 key encryption..
How can I e-mail you so you can send it to me?

I would be interested in it too; we have many customers who use RCC on BCM50s and 400s and haven't had major problems yet, but anything that uses MS SQL is a catastrophe waiting to happen....

interesting I also have a customer with BCM450 R5

having the same encryption key issue.

I restored the server and it was good for 3 months now the same issue again.

anyway you could post or email me the resolution?

It's only dialtone-VZ

pkellow, many thanks! I will try it the next time the reporting breaks.

Reading the doc, I know it is missing just one piece of information...

There are 2 groups that the RCCUSR_* need to belong to, not one:
SQLServer2005ReportServerUser$[MachineName]$RCCSQLEXPR
SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$[MachineName]$RCCSQLEXPR

Other than that, it is fine.

Just a final note that this issue is going to be rolled into future RCC builds - the first being RCC 2.6.415.

pkellow, the reporting broke again. I'm using the guide to fix it. I need the sa password but can't find a way to PM/private e-mail you so you send it to me. Please help!

Thanks

Firebird, I sent you the sa password just in case you lost it.

pkellow, would you mind sending me the sa password as well? I have this exact thing happening with one of our customers. Thanks!

Thanks pkellow

I did get it and I was able to help out one of the guys on the forum last week. I hope you are keeping well. I'm due to be getting a 160 gig with all of the BCM day one images. I'll see if I can get a copy to you.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back