Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RC1 time-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jward52

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2003
US
I thought RC1 was supposed to have timed itself out by now, that is, quit functioning. I have it on a dual-boot with XP Home. Vista is still functioning when I checked yesterday. No drivers for the SoundMax on-board audio and my Visioneer 8920 USB scanner made Vista a little-used curiosity. PC is a Dell Dimension 4600, 1gb ddr400 ram.

31st May 2007, is the date I see mentioned, but what does Time-out actually mean? Maybe RC1 is working at reduced capability or something like that, or maybe the Programmer's just got it wrong (a common enough occurrence in Beta products).

It is also a safe bet that RC1 has many more bugs in it than RC2, which in turn had more bugs than the still slightly buggy RTM.

Time out means, according to my interpretation, that it no longer works. For sure, RC1 has bugs, but it was surprising that the OS started up when I was late choosing "Earlier version of Windows" from the boot manager screen. If I have time later tonight, I'll start it and see if there's any reduced function. Eventually, I'll replace RC1 with Ubuntu Linux 7.xx and sell pc #2 which now has Ubuntu 6.06 on it. Vista still isn't ready for prime-time as far as upgrades are concerned, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back