Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rc scripts won't startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchau

MIS
Aug 9, 2000
US
Hi,

Some, maybe all, of the rc scripts would not execute on startup. If I run the scripts manually, the scripts run okay. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Timc

What files are you manipulating?
In which directory?
Are you booting into multiuser? Are you manipulating the files in the correct directory /etc/rc2.d
look in your rc.2 file under /etc for miss configuration.
Nostradamus

Yes, the rc2.d scripts would not execute on startup.

If none of the files are running in the directory then you should:

- make sure you are booting into the correct state.
- check the permissions and owner on the rc2.d directory.

You never know, maybe something or someone changed the permissions or something (it happened to me when the junior SA changed permissions on a directory). You should also watch what happens on bootup for messages or anything out of place (check /var/adm/messages).

Hope this helps.

- Stuart

I don´t know if it´s like this on Sun but on a SCO machine the scripts must start with a capital letter. For example
S88sendmail will be run but s88sendmail won´t. Probably not what´s wrong here but anyway :)
Nostradamus

It's also like that on Sun, rc scripts MUST start with an upper case letter (is that a UNIX thing?). That's also worth checking out, but should only happen if you (or someone else) has renamed the script.

Check it out and the other stuff and let us know. Regards.

- Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back