Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rawrite floppy - Mssg is "Address mark not found" - SCO OperS install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
I am trying to load SCO Open Server 5.0.5 on a Dell PowerEdge 1300 that has an AMI (now LSI, I think) SCSI Raid controller (PERC2/SC) connected to two Quantum Atlas IV 36 GB HDs. I previously loaded Windows2000 - no problems.

The Dell has an IDE CD. In the BIOS I have turned off the built-in motherboard SCSI and boot from the CD. It starts booting but has a message like "cannot find root hard disk" or something. The Dell KB has a driver file to be loaded. I downloaded it, unzipped it on my Win2K box - I don't have any Linux or Unix boxes.

I created the floppy several times attempting to get past the problem. I have used 2 different downloaded versions of DOS Rawrite. I tried the Windows version. I have used a program called fdimage. The file that unzipped was "openserver_perc_v2.1.4.dd". There is also a VOL.000.000 file to load after the OS has been loaded. I have downloaded the file twice. I copied the file to the C: root, copied rawrite.exe to C:, and then ran rawrite from a DOS window. I have formatted 3 different floppies, the last one using the "Volume Name" or "amird".

At &quot;boot:&quot; during the installation, I type in &quot;defbootstr link=amird&quot;, ENTER, and proceed. When I get to the message to &quot;insert the fd(65)amird volume and press <Return>&quot;, I do it. The Dell FD comes to life, then I get the message
&quot;FD error: drive=1, block=2, buf addr=6eae&quot;
&quot;BAD_ADDR_MARK: Address mark not found&quot;
&quot;Sorry, that volume does not contain the amird package&quot;

I also tried &quot;ls&quot; at the boot prompt and I get what I assume are the direcoties on the CD (boot, link, unix, rootFS, etc.)
When I type &quot;ls fd(65)&quot; (I think that should list the directories on the floppy), the FD comes to life and then I get
&quot;BAD_ADDR_MARK: address mark not found&quot;
&quot;/ not found&quot;
&quot;Can't open fd(65)&quot;

HELP! I know very little Unix but I do listen, and I am willing to spend time. I have done a lot of searching before posting.

How about booting from the boot floppy and at boot: tell it to link. Question comes up what package and you tell it amird.
You may also need to download a new boot floppy from caldera as there was a glitch in the link package that caused some to fail.
I've never had reason to load from CD so the advice comes from my experience with the floppy path.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

For how to make a floppy for SCO, go to

I was able to make a floppy using the floppycp.exe command that my Power Edge would read.

: ls fd(65)
. .. ./ilog0000 ./slog0000 README amird install

I also have an SCO server that was able to do the floppy verification descibed at:

# sum -r /dev/fd0
09526 2880 /dev/fd0

Hope that helps.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back