Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAW - in a nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcaluna13

Technical User
Nov 21, 2006
US
Can someone explain (grade school level - 1st grade, matter of fact) why the pro's use camera RAW ?

Being a pretty good PS'er, I feel like I can pretty much do anything I want with jpg's / bmp's / psd's etc...

Please explain what it buys me to use my camera in RAW mode for PS use?

What is my camera doing in RAW mode? (Seems to take longer to shoot)

How does it help me in PS?

There are many, many things that can be done with a raw file. The white balance can be selected and adjusted as desired on the computer long after the photo is taken. The exposure can be increased or decreased by multiple stops. The histogram can be adjusted. The image can be brought into Photoshop as a 16 bit image. Those are just a few of the things that can be done.

With a RAW file, you have actually ALL the data capture par the sensor and you can use them as you want on a non destructive way. Not only you can manipulate all the different adjustment on a try and error basis, but you can even simulate a bracketing, or use the best for highlight and the best for shadow and mix them, to name just a few options.
Finally, I think Photoshop Lightroom is the best for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back