Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rather strange request... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpandexBobcat

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
Hi folks,

I am using the IP406 unit with IP400 Digi and analogue stations and my director has asked me if the system can be used as a tanoy...

He was told prior to the installation that this is posssible, his impression was that some how you can call all the phones on the system at once (i'm not quite sure how he is going to guarantee the msg gets to everyone though...) Could anyone give some rather urgent advice please?!?!

Thanks in advance,

SB

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

It IS posible to page Digital Handsets
It ISossible to use an analog port as a means of connection to an external paging amplifier.
It IS NOT possible to page an analog Handset.

Thanks for the responce IPGuru,

I thought the Digi handsets might be able to.... How is it possible to acheive this? Could I get it to work like a tanoy, where no answering is needed and the message is said over the load speaker???

SB

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

All the IPOffice systems (UK models anyway!) can tannoy all users using the page button. To use just press page button on any handset and select the all user group and after the tone make your announcement. If you want to page from a 2010 (without LCD) then you will need to set up a shortcode first for the "DialPage" feature in the IPOffice Manager if one is not already listed.

If you haven't already got an all extension group then you will first need to create the huntgroup. Create this huntgroup with the ring mode of "Group" and "Voicemail" off.

Obviously this will only work with digital speakerphones such as the 2010, 2030, 2050 and 2060 as well as the old Index DT3's unless you buy an analogue paging unit that connects to a POT port.

Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for your accurate responce moslin. Have a star for it mate!

I just spoke to a guy that pretty much confirmed eveything in your post. Unforunately we have quite a few analogue phones on site so I will have to look at some sort of paging unit if I want to go ahead with this.

Cheers!

"Windows: Just another pane in the glass.

Just curious - could someone translate from the british for me? Does tannoy simply mean page, or is there a deeper meaning I'm not catching?

I think its Britisch!!!

Hahaha

Greets Peter

The spandex bobcat wants to tanoy his IPO? dont they have websites with that stuff on it...

Soopa Doopa Intergalactic IP Office installation mechanic and configuration corruptor from way back.

Just to clear this up for those a bit confused, a true tannoy system is the same as a load speaker system all around the site. If for example a message needed to be given to everyone on site at the same time, you would say what needed to be said 'over the tannoy'.

The IP400 system lets you tannoy to the load speaker on the phone, without the phone having to be answered.

My idea of paging is more of a beep or noise to inform a single person that there is some trying to contact them... at least that is my understanding of it...

And that is the lesson over for today!

SB

Tanoy is a manufacturer of Public address systems

as (one off) the first & best known its name has become synonymouse with loud speaker/PA systems

just like Hoover is almost interchangeable with Vacueme cleaner here in the UK

I didnt know that........

So how about the mentioning of paging earlier on? would they be talking about a beep/noise or voice?

SB

Okay - okay! Tannoy are one of the oldest makers of loudspeakers, and they used to (it seem) make all public address systems, so yeah, Tannoy for page! It's like one of them brand things, people that "Hoover" instead of Vacuum, get a Kleenex for a paper tissue, Biro for a pen... and for Americans who Xerox not photocopy...think you get the picture! ;-)

Thanks IPGuru, pipped to the post! Was called away before clicking on submit post...

Boy did I ever start something! hehehehe

Thanks for clearing that up, thought it might be something like that but always curious about other dialects.

Now excuse me while I hop on my skidoo (snowmobile) and go get myself some timmies (coffee) :)

Peter

Think I'll go down the local and hit on the sheilas

Soopa Doopa Intergalactic IP Office installation mechanic and configuration corruptor from way back.

SpandexBobcat,

I think you may need to start again with a description of what you want to achieve, in a new thread. Then people may be able to match it to an existing IP Office function.

...meanwhile,

Don't ever ask a US friend if you can "bum a fag", apparently it doesn't mean borrow a cigarette, filthy filthy minds they have :)

Look at for more. Its a dogs bollocks web site.

sizbut,

My question has been answered...

IP Office does support tannoy/paging or whatever you want to call it but only on the digital phones and then I believe only those with a display (well they have to have a load speaker at least)

If I want to have a site wide system (inc analogue phones as well) I would either have to upgrade all the phones to digi or buy an analogue paging unit to directly connect to a pot.

This forum has been a great help, but as far as I am concerned this thread is pretty much spent...

Thanks to all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back