Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rate Limit on a Switch Port 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecolombo

Vendor
Jan 19, 2005
US
We have a 10 meg. MAN circuit with a Cisco 3650 switch connected on either side of the circuit. We want to do some type of rate limiting so that the Cisco Switches can guarantee 3 meg. of bandwidth from one Ethernet port on one switch to one Ethernet port on the other switch.

Can anyone discribe or send me a sample switch port configuration.
Thank,
Joe

You will have to configure it based on IP address or protocol. There isnt a way to rate limit between 2 ports across a fiber link.

Could you use class and policy maps with the eth interfaces?? Rate limiting them w/the bandwidth command?

I haven't used class and policy maps before.I have a call into Cisco for some configuration help.

Thanks for your help.

Cisco gave me this info:
1.- Create an ACL to select the traffic that you want.
access-list 99 permit any
2.- Create class-maps for this traffic
class-map NAME <-------- you can use any name
match access-group 99 <--- this is the access-list that we've just created.

The following commands create and define a policy map called "llq_policy":
policy-map llq_policy
class NAME
priority 3000 <--- I have used 3000 Kbps, but you can use the value that you want to guarantee for this traffic (remember you can only use 75% of the link bandwidth) !
class class-default <--- this is the rest of the traffic that falls in the default class and to give that traffic a fair-queue treatment fair-queue 3. Apply the policy to the incoming interface and in global configuration int F4
service-policy inbound llq_policy

That's basically what I was thinking.

What I was thinking was:

class-map BLAH
match input-interface FA0/X (whatever your eth int are)
policy-map BLAHpol
class BLAH
bandwidth 3000

The difference between the priority and bandwidth commands are that the priority command will prioritize the traffic and not allow the connection to go ABOVE 3000kbs. The bandwidth command guarantees 3000kbs, but if more is available WILL go above 3000kbs.

I'm assuming these ethernet interfaces are clients? If that's the case, I can't see how applying the policy map to the ethernet interface will make a difference. The ETH int is a local interface between the client and the switch that will run at 100mbs. I'd think you'd have to apply the policy map on your 10meg interface or on the outbound side of the ETH int.

Maybe I'm way off base, anyone want to chime in?

That isn't possible on the 3560. You cannot apply service policies on the egress on this platform (or 2960, 2970 & 3750), only queueing. Strict priority queueing is handled by Q1 if the interface command 'priority-queue out' is configured, there is no way to restrict this queue though. The packets DSCP or CoS value determines what queue the packet is sent to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back