Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS AGAIN........ARGHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockers

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Hi all RAS troubles again I'm afraid :((

I can dial into a remote server and access its resources
but I can't ping/access any other machines on the domain or connect to any of the trusted domains.

Any ideas

Rockers

What permissions does your account have re the other machines/domains?

Also, check the Remote Access Service on the RAS Server. You can grant permission to (1) The Entire Network or (2) The Server Only. Make sure you are set for The Entire Network.

Also, does your RAS server give out the TCP/IP information itself, or rely on DHCP from the network? Double-check the address/subnet mask that the RAS machine has to give out.

Hope this helps...:cool:

- Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Thanks for replying guys

Paul: The user seems to be set up the same on both the domains, just a standard user with the ability to dial remotely.

Bill: I will check to see that the permission is set to the
entire network unfortunately I'm in Bristol and the server is in London :(, but I will get someone to look at that.
For your other questions the the RAS gets the TCPIP info from the DHCP, when I run winipcfg on the client it gives me a assigned address of 192.168.16.12 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Thanks again

This doesn't sound like a legit IP address. Is this the scheme your network is using? - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Thats what is assigned Bill, The people who installed the system set up this scheme (192.168.16.x)

192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 are Class C reserved IP addresses, and should therefore be OK. Have you checked the Trusts are working?

I think they are Paul, I haven't had any complaints.
They seem to be set up OK.
I must admit this is the first company that I've worked for that uses trusts so my experience of them is not great.
Any testing tips???

I assume you have viewed the trusts through User Manager > Policies > Trust Relationships so if they are working for other users you'd best leave them alone!

Just to clarify, you are using a worksation (Win9x ?) to connect through your PDC server to another PDC via RAS? What connection dialup, ISDN, ADSL, etc?

Oh, and what was the outcome of Bill's question re permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back