Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS 9 Service Stops, Won't Stay Started 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprilius

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
US
I am experiencing difficulties with the Report Application Server service, Report Application Server CE edition that came with CR 9 Advanced Edition, installed on a Windows 2000 server. A full install was done. The RAS Configuration Manager was configured per the documentation provided with the software.

When I launch the Report Application Server Launchpad web application and click on the ePortfolio Lite link or links to create a new report or modify a report from the Web Report Design Wizard, I get the following error:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

-------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
sacommlayer.dll (0x80041015)
Failed to connect to server "XXXXX". Error returned from Windows Sockets API : 0.
/rassamples/en/asp/rPortfolio/helperFunctions.asp, line 31

I looked at the application event log and the saw the following group of entries:

1. Report Application Server started.

2. Another RAS server, workstation xxxxxxx (omitted for security), is running. A multi-server license is required. Server will shut down.

3. Report Application Server stopped.

It looks like two instances of the service is starting, but I am not sure why. Has anyone else encountered this problem and been able to resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Oh,
I have this trouble too, I try to ask this question on Crystal Decision site but it returns no results.
I need any of your helps
Thanks

Hi,
You are getting this error because i think there are 2 DNS entries pointing to the same m/c.So it is trying to start up the server for mulitple instances.Just try removing a DNS entry and then test

If that last suggestion doesn't work, try downloading the latest patches for CR 9 and RAS 9. Apply the CR 9 patch first, then the RAS 9 patch.

You are getting this error message because you have the report application server installed on another computer in your organization and you only purchased one license. I had the same problem until I stopped the Report Application SErver service on the first machine I installed it on.

RAS can see other RAS servers on the same network. The license you recieved with CR9 only allows one RAS server per company, so if a second one is seen then it closes down. Someone has installed a RAS server on their PC somewhere in your network.

Different serial numbers don't help here. The RAS license is only for one server.

Makes it really difficult to set up RAS servers for a training room. Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

If your mahcine server have two network card installed, RAS detects that another copy with the same license is running on the same domain.

You might want to install RAS on another machine with one NIC card. This should solve the problem.

If you're sure there aren't any other RAS servers running on the network, you need to delete the localhost entry in the hosts file on the server which has RAS installed.

This is the only solution I have found to this problem. Seems like lousy programming on Seagate's part.

I just joined the forum today, so this response is a little out dated but, I know this is an issue that others have, and will experiance so I am posting my findings to help the other poor souls that have experianced the same problem.

I have also experianced this problem, and it was a nightmare to figure out. Crystal Tech support seemed to act like I was the only one ever to experiance this problem. I tryed installing on several different machines with the same results. I finally figured out the problem.

Your hosts file located at:

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

By default, it contains some comments, and the following line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

All you have to do is add a loop back to your specific IP address so that you now have two lines that look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
YourIPAddress YourMachineName

Where YourIPAddress is the Real IP Address of your machine, and YourMachineNAme is the name of the RAS Server.

That's all there is too it.

By the way, although you would be violating you license agreement, there is a way to avoid the single RAS server limitation if it is occuring ligitimatly.

All you have to do is install a firewall on the RAS servers, that block each other.

This might be a good plan if you need to have a development machine available for your use without interfering with the production machine.

It works, I tryed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back