Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rart time resources - Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaColeman

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
US
I have resources that start out a project with only .1 and .5 of time devoted to it. When I assign them to a task, whose duration but not work has been entered, the total work time for a task shrinks. Questions:
1. Should I enter work hours rather than duration and on what sheet?
2. Is the resource assignment dialogue box the only way to enter part time resources for the first 2 months that increase commitment over project life, or should I be using a resource calendar?
3. If I assign a resource to multiple tasks that can not be leveled, the program just assigns the % time available on resource dialogue box to all selected task, right? I actually have to do my own allocation of resource time by tasks in an interative method, right?
Thanks for help!!!

right!
if you need the task duration to stay as is - make the field 'task type' fixed duration.

I prefer to enter resources in a split view gantt chart and enter work rather than units.
that way total work will equal the project budget.

hth.

I take the easy way out. Whenever possible, I assign one resource to a task. If multiple resources are being assigned to a task then I create multiple instances of the task and assign resource1 to the first instance, resource2 to the second instance and so on.

If you are managing individual resources, then they *very* likely are doing individual tasks (in parallel, working towards the same dates and deliverables ... but, even so, doing individual tasks). This makes it very easy for me to do my levelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back