Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rare Issue: Disconnects intermittently after about 1-2 mins. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

byuti

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
PH
My new system can't stay connected to any ISP for more than 2 mins. But the odd thing is that the problem persists only in one place--my house--using either of my two telephone lines. I already brought my tower to my neighbor's, it stayed connected for more than 15 mins using the same ISP and another ISP. The same thing happened when I brought it to my PC dealer for cheking. It stayed connected for more than two hours using the same ISP and another ISP. But when I brought it back home, I have the same problem. What's more wierd is that this problem doesn't happen to my imac which I connect to the same phone lines. The only diffence is that my imac is much slower. When I tried to contact my telephone company about it, they advised that my hardware could be incompatible with the cable facilities of my phone line. How about my neighbor and the PC store???? We do have the same telco! To cut it short, they simply said it's beyond their responsibility. Below are the specs if it might be helpful to anyone of you who might have any bright ideas:

XP Home
Modem: DLink rockwell conexant 56k data/ fax/ voice
512MB DDR, P4 2.4B

Thanks in advance!

Byuti, I suggest you check the intenet connection settings for your dial up. Make sure it's not set to disconnect when connection is not needed. Also try to look for some Init String for your 56K modem to stabilize its modulation. Check out this website for further information and how to apply the initialization string:
I wish u luck!

Byuti,
If you are still having problems I would try and sort out exactly what is causing it first. Can you get your friends pc to your house and dial up to the 2 different ISP's to see if it happens to his machine?
If it does you can safely say the problem lies with your phone company or a service that you have activated on your phone line. Try unplugging all the other devices that are plugged in to your sockets at home and see if it persists. Do you have call waiting enabled on your line? or anything different from your friends house? sky TV plugged in perhaps?

If your friends pc connects with no problem and stays up then try and uninstall your modem and install his into your machine. Test again. If it is still the same then install your friend on your machine and test again.

Please post your results which will help us all in the future.

Thanks balo and dooahhdoo. The website balo has provided was very helpful in discovering the real issue. At this website, I discovered that MY PHONE LINE IS NOT 56K-COMPATIBLE. This is the reason all the while that I was not able to connect at a high speed. My modem is very aggressive (v.92) and the phone line can only handle connection at a very low baud. So I tested some init strings in the extra settings where the system can connect at a stable speed. Sad to say, the match is terribly slow. Now I understand why the phone company proposed a dsl connection for my system.

oops,sorry, too quick on the keyboard...

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back