Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raptor - Server keeps rebooting over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpbx

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
Running RaptorFW 6.5 on NT4 SP5. We had to power down our Raptor server because of a scheduled power outage in our town. After power was back up, I noticed that the server with our Raptor Firewall kept rebooting over and over. After 2 hours of it rebooting and me hard rebooting, it finally came back up. We do not know much about the Raptor Firewall and no longer have any type of support for it. Is it possible to Backup the raptor info in case we have this happen again? Someone told me that the Raptor FW actually makes major changes to the NT OS and will not allow us to make a backup. Sounds strange, but I could really use some help until we get our PIX firewall up to relace Raptor. Thanks for any help that you can provide!

It sounds to me like some sort of hardware problem... Perhaps some bad memory, or something overheating inside the box?

It is true that Raptor/SEF takes over many parts of the OS. However, you should still be able to make backups. We use Colorado backup software on ours that came with the HP tape drive. The one thing you'll have to do is to make an exception for Raptor to leave the Windows Scheduler Service alone- this way your backups can run as scheduled jobs.

Hope that helps!

Raptor seems to make a lot of logfiles, and DrWatson can created logs of 500MB and more, when the server was attacked and crashed. So when your system drive gets full, this 'could' be the problem. So make sure u regular delete these logfiles. And rename the drwatson.exe so this won't be a problem anymore.

Hope this will help.

good luck.

deRk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back