Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

random spaces when printing to HP Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekieVB

MIS
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have a law office that is having printing issues with their HP Printers, their word and wordperfect documents leave more than one space between words randomly throughout the entire document. The document displays properly on screen.

However if they print to their Xerox printers, it prints fine.

We tried updating the Client32 and printer drivers. The customer is having the issue on Win98 and WinXP both. They are not using NDPS. The server is running NetWare 5.1 SP1 and I am scheduled to update to SP7 next week.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever ran into a similar problem?

to me it's a driver issue

i aaume you are using the drivers from hp and not the builtin one that ship with ms

the client32 will have nothing to do with it

how are you prining then - through q?

I have experienced the problem before, and the best way to get rid of it is to use the 'other' driver.

i.e. If they are using PCL, use PS (or vice versa).

I have also set it up that they have both drivers on their setup, so they can pick the other one if necessary.

A clunky solution, but it works.

TN

Since you're on NW5, try printing IP-direct to the HP printers. I've used it frequently, with good results every time, and the printers have several users each, in both Netware and Win2KAS environments.
Add a Local printer, uncheck the PlugNPlay box, make the connection through a Standard TCP/IP port, give it the Ip address of the Jetdirect card, tell it what MFG/Model of printer, and you're off and running!

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Ensure you are using either the PCL5 or the PCL6 HP driver (not the MS standard one as already mentioned).

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back