Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Shutoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Anyone got any ideas with regards to a problem I'm having? My computer seems to poweroff at random points (but the lights remain on). The monitor makes a high-pitched click, and goes off, but the computer stays on. However, all sound seems to stop, suggesting that it's not just the monitor at fault.
After it goes off, it takes a while before I can switch it back on again....I have no idea what it is!

any help would be appreciated...!
thanks

-Yousrekh / S.K.

p.s. its not power management....regardless of what packard bell thinks!! :)

I would say it's that you're either running too hot, or your powersupply is either on it's way out or is being overpowered.

What are the specs on your system?

AMD Athlon 1gb
128mb ram
gforce2
20gig hd

anything else relevant? i thought it might be powersupply...but is that totally physical? or is there something that can be done with software? :S

thanks

What kind of powersupply? Total wattage would be good, and also the amps on the 5V and 3.3V lines. And the other drives you have. :)

is there a way i find all this stuff out without takin the cover off? :)

Not that I'm aware of. It *might* be in your documentation. ;)

The information *should* be right on the side of the PSU when you do take the cover off. If it's a small case, though, it could be difficult to get to, as those tend to have the PSUs placed in a rather awkward way (I think), though to fit them in there they kinda have to.

Before you take the case off you could try to check a couple of things for the temperature possibility. First off, are there any case fans (aside from the powersupply one)? Second, when you boot, go into your BIOS (usually hit the del key or F2 right after you hit the power switch), and see if there's a temperature monitor (possibly under a hardware monitoring menu selection).

That would be a pretty good start.

ok...well here goes..i'll take off the cover..might as well stay online so i can type in the info :)

if i dont post a message for a while, just assume i've died a horrible fiery death ;)

-Y

Just try to do as little touching as possible and you'll be just fine. :) (More importantly your computer will be. ;))

ok...

total wattage = 145W
3.3V = 12A
5V = 18A

other drives = dvd rom, cdrw, 3.5 floppy..

thanks matey :D

-Y

Yeah, I'm gonna say it's your PSU. I would suggest getting at least a 250W or so. 300W would be even better. You'll want at least 25a on the 3.3v and 25 on the 5v.

Or you could just get an AMD approved one. That would work, too. :)

ok, thanks a lot for your help :)

I think I'll just keep foning Slackard Bell until they give me another PSU, after all it's their problem ;)

thanks,
-Y / S.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back