Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Restarts as of today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoatyGoat

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
GB
Yesterday my PC worked perfectly fine.
Then I turned it on this morning, and just after the "Windows Lodaing" screen disappeared, it restarted. And then again, and again at the same point.

Then I tried Last Known Good Config. - didnt work the first time, but it did the second time.

Up comes Windows in glorious 4-bit colour and 640x480 res.

I reinstall graphics drivers...and then I'm OK.

THEN, Windows Media Player needs reinstalling for some reason (was fine yesterday).

Go to play my game, and it restarts randomly wile playing. So I tried again...same thing.

So I check the System Properties and breathe a sigh of relief - I found the culprit..."Automatically Restart on Errors" was ticked. So I unticked it, and restarted......

IT STILL HAPPENS!! What could be causeing this?? I pretty sure it's not heat since I have my deskfan blasting in my case and a new CPU fan and case fan.

Specs:
ECS K7VZM 1.0a Motehrboard
LASTEST BIOS 1.1g
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz (200MHz FSB)
512MB SDRAM (100Mhz)
20GB HDD
80GB HDD
Windows XP Pro (SP1a)
50x CD-ROM

Extra Info:

NO Virus'
85 tracking cookies found - all deleted
NO other Spyware
LATEST VIA chipset drivers
ALL Windows Updates
LATEST Graphics Card Drivers

is it am IBM aptiva or do you have a UPS? we had a problem with both of those things doing exactly what you describe.

The IBM Aptiva had a defective MotherBoard.

The UPS had it's main board go bad.

Becca.

Somtimes, the easy answer is the hardest to find. :)

I had a similar problem on a nearly-new PC. turned out to be faulty memory, even though it checked out OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back