Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

legion2552

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I posted this question in the video issues forum too, but I'm beginning to move away from my gpu being the problem, so if anyone here can help too...

I recently built my own computer, spec being:
XP3000 on a MSI K7N2 Delta mobo, 512mb PC3200 RAM, 450w psu and a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro (256Mb).
After building the comp and getting the OS on there, everything appeared to be going well, until I tried running a few games; the system would just reboot at random intervals throughout. Sometimes it would be after 2 minutes, sometimes after 10 etc...
I've tried reinstalling the ATI drivers from both the CD & their website, but to no avail.
The card is correctly seated and is plugged into the PSU.
Any ideas would be great as I'm out...

Mat

P.s. I have a Thermaltake Xaser III. It has 7 fans in, so it does suck out some power too...

Hi,

I had a similar problem, not with games, but with a virtual instrument program (Vee Pro). Turned out the computer had a bad RAM module. I downloaded a utility called MemTest (get it from that diagnosed the memory problem. Replacing the RAM solved everything. It might work for you, too.

Good luck!
--Michael

I ran the memtest software and the module passed all the tests.
I'm pulling my hair out as it's driving me mad. My machine will reboot at anytime. Playing games, browsing web etc.
I wondered whether it was because my CPU ran at 333fsb and the RAM was 400fsb, but I've read in some recent posts that the ram will just drop down the the same fsb as the CPU.
In the BIOS, I've got the GPU aperture size set at 32mb. My card is a 256mb card. Should i alter the value to mactch my card...?

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
:eek:)

It could be a power supply issue. Mine started to fail and the symptom was random reboots and power offs.

agp aperture size will not make the pc reboot. but check the capacitors by the cpu socket. if the tops are bulged looking then you have a bad system board. Also what is the temp of the cpu? did you use a good heatsink/fan? I have seen updated system board drivers fix this problem. I have also seen a bad dvd drive,hdd,modem,mem.,system board,mouse,and keyboard cause this. try removing devices 1 at a time till it goes away,if it still reboots in a minimum config,cpu,mem.,video,mouse,kb,hdd. find someone who has a cpu,or mem you can swap out for testing. Rich

If your motherboard has a feature that automatically shuts down your computer if your cpu gets too hot, (and I am betting it does based on your hardware, it must be a newer board) then that could be the problem. make sure you have good cooling and explore your bios or read your board's user manual to see if you have this feature. Don't change any bios settings if you don't know what they do.

Good luck.

The CPU runs at around 45 oC and system temp is about 50 oC.
I have a Coolermaster Aero 7+ Socket A CPU Cooler on full blast, with my Thermaltake xaser III case, so if heat was still an issue, I'd be suprised as no alarms are going off.
It appears to be mainly when I'm playing mainly (I've tested with about 5 different games), although I have had instances of it dying with no games running, but this is a lot less frequent.
I went into my BIOS and noted down the power "levels":
VCore 1.60 to 1.65
+3.3V 3.24 to 3.36
+5V 4.91 to 4.97
+12V 11.75 to 11.85
-12V 12.61 to 12.69
-5V 4.99 to 5.09
Battery 2.97 to 3.06
5VSB(V) 4.94

I'm wondering whether anyone knows if these are "normal"?

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back