Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RANDOM REBOOT IN WIN XP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousBDE

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
US
Current Config:

Windows XP Home Edition (downloaded SP1)
AMD Athlon 1.1 Ghz Processor
Gigabyte GA-72ZM Mobo
300W Generic Power Supply
544MB MICRON PC133 RAM
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti 4200
Creative SoundBlaster Extigy
Western Digital 120 GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD (mounted with twin HDD Fan)
Western Digital 40 GB 5400RPM 2MB Cache HDD Mounted with 5.25 Bay HDD Fans)
I/O Magic 24x/12x/48x CD-RW Drive
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
Standard Mid Tower ATX Case with two 80mm fans.

My system randomly reboots, without any error messages. I could be surfing the internet, or playing a game, or recording some music.

TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?

There is a setting in XP that will reboot the machine when it crashes, rather than giving an error message. If you turn this off at least you should see whats causing the problems.. If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

You probably get reboots instead of Blue Screens because XP is most likely set on auto-reboot. If for some reason u would like to turn this off, right click on my computer, goto properties and on the advanced tab click the Startup and Recovery settings button. In there uncheck auto reboot.

Random problems are often the fault of a failing powersupply or not enough juice from the power supply. You can try swapping power supplies. If your power supply is working correctly then maybe a bigger power supply might be needed, like 350 or 400 watt psu.

You could also test your Ram to see if you faulty ram.

The order I would check things:

1) Disable "restart on bluescreen" as suggested above.

2) If you have a spare PSU and are able to, swap them round to see if the issue continues.

3) Remove 1 stick of memory at a time, or swap for spare memory if you have it lying around.

HTH

Russell

Thanks for the responses....I think its my psu...i have alot of fans and plus i've read that my video card uses alot of power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back