Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random numbers being dialled from system 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevem31

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2004
GB
Hi folks,
Im new here having found your site from a google search. Hopefully you guys can help.Heres my prob. (apologies in advance for any missing info but im a computer guy rather than a telephone guy!)

I have a Norstar Modular Plus System with Startalk 180 voicemail. We have 6 lines over 2 telephone numbers and about 20 extensions.

Over the past couple of days we have been recieving calls from hundreds of people claiming we have called them. We havent.

What happens is Joe publics phone rings - he answers and hears a beep then ringing - a random phone in our office (but usually the switchboard phone) rings and an employee answers - Joe public asks why we have called him - employeed says they didnt call - joe public called them!

Some Joe Publics have received hundreds of calls over and over from our numbers. Most of the numbers are local numbers which have the same std code but some are mobiles.

Any ideas?

I've spoken to BTs line fault department and Norstars helpdesk on several occasions but they are blaming each other....

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi stevem31,
This doesn't sound like an issue with the phone system more like an issue with some kind of external dialer - the option for uncontrolled dialing on a Norstar is within the voicemail's "outdial notification" but will only dial the numbers programmed in it's list if a message is left on that voicemail box. I don't recall if the Startalk 180 has that option - or if it was introduced with the Flash Vmail.
Your best bet would be to have your service provider send out a tech to monitor the lines and locate the source of the dialing to "Joe Public" (Your equipment or someone elses.
Hope this helps

Does anyone in your office have their lines redirected? I suggest restricting the outdial notification if you have the feature. I would start with that first to see if they are still getting calls.

Elvia
PSC

I had something very similar happen about 18 months ago. the receptionist would answer a "held line to attendent" call and would have someone on the other end stating that the receptionist called them. (always same number) I suspect a practical joker was a possibility and that the analog sttions were the other probable culprit, and put an SMDR unit on the system. unfortunately I told the receptionist what and she went ballistic accusing everyone in the building of harassing her.

Problem disappered at this time but I was unable to identify if it was intentional. My suspicion is that the fax machines were not set up correctly and were making a call and then doing an analog hold.

System was MICS with ASM, NVM, PRI.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

thanks for the replies guys!
Ive spend a day with a BT engineer looking over the systems for any line redirects and notifications to external numbers on the voicemail but there are none. We installed a call logger which is showing that the calls are originating from, and are being transferred, within the company but Im 100% positive these people arent making the calls(Ive informed their supervisors who are keeping a close eye on their phone usage and I know the staff personally!). I believe it has someting to do with a local taxi company who has the same norstar system and the two of us are getting our lines crossed, so to speak, as a majority of the calls are to their offices. There was a power cut in our town at the weekend which affected the exchange which we both use, but Im being told its not this...
Also we noticed on the call logger that some of the calls are being transferred to extension which dont exist which isnt possible!
Really strange one! If we get it sorted ill post what was wrong!
Kind Regards,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back