Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBTao

Technical User
Nov 7, 2001
US
Current setup:
Asus A7A 266 ALI chipset
AMD 1.1 TBird
128 DDR Ram
ATI 64 DDR All in wonder vid 2x/4x agp
Linksys Network Card
IBM Deskstar 30 Gig HD

OK.. The problem:
Randomly the computer will freeze. Most of the time when I am playing a game, but now I am noticing locks when nothing is happening. Most recently when the computer goes to sleep and the monitor switches to PowerSaver and cuts off. Normal mouse movement should "wake up" the computer, but lately its just locked. Now, I have had sessions in games where it locks up every 5 minutes or maybe wont lock for 5 hours.
Any one have any advice. I traded out memory from 1 128 to 2 64's and it still does it. Traded out video for my old Viper 770 and it still locks, so currently i am at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have downloaded new drivers from ALI and Asus, and all periphials.

If you have a program that can check the temperature of your cpu, then check it after you restart from a look up. Your system might be overheating..... Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

HI
In the BIOS select the OPTIMAL SETUP.. not the Best Perfornace/TUrbo setup available, if any. :)
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

I concur,I have the same M/B and overheating was an issue with the same symptoms until I slowed down the proc speed
and yet to get a better fan.Also the updated bios from Asus
seemed to help as well.

OK.. I have also read that it could be a over heating problem with my video card. How do you check this temp?
I think normally my CPU runs about about 57 deg all the time, but will check again when i get home.
Should I try to stay around 50deg?

Try disabling the internal cache. If this stops the hangs get a new cpu.

You didn't mention what OS you're using but I'd bet it's Wondows 4.x. If so your problem may not be hardware related. I have multi boot on a couple of machines. One is DOS-Windows 95-Linux and another is Windows 95- Windows 2000 server. I have experienced lock-up on both computers when booted into Win 4.x but not when booted into the other OS's. The FAT 16 and 32 file systems seem particularly prone to lock-ups, the 32 a bit less than the 16. I run regclean-scandiak-defrag at LEAST once a week and have found it helps a lot. There is also a file system problem they won't fix, fragmentation of your registry files. Open a command line window and type
scandisk /f system.dat, do the same for user.dat. If you're fragmented that could be your problem. If so drop me a post and I'll send you a procedure for defragmenting them. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back