Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random I/O Errors, Backup fails with BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gery

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
US
Hi
I've got a problem with backup which randomly failed because of I/O errors. My environment are three MSCS in one fabric. BE is cluster aware installed on each cluster. Everything seems to work fine except that I/O errors sometimes. Is somebody out there who suffers from the same pain?
Gery

This was happening to us frequently. Fixed it with this article.

We made these 2 suggested changes to the SCSI controller:

Set INITIATE WIDE NEGOTIATION to off for controllers with a wide bus
Set MAXIMUM SYNC TRANSFER RATE to the slowest possible setting (set ours to 5)

Brian

This was happening to us frequently, but I had to contact veritas on our issue and they directed me to the following article.

It is a Hotfix for BENT v7.3 b.2575, v8.0 b.3316 and v8.5 b3571 ONLY. I am not sure if you are running any of these versions, but it states that it is for Unrecognized Media, but it corrected our I/O errors like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
BackupExec

Hi all
Thx for reply, but I use fibre channel switched environment with emulex HBA's with modified firmware from CPQ. BE version is 8.6 Build 3878.
KR
Gery

Forgive me for adking/mentioning this, but is your drive properly terminated?

Thx, I solved the problem by not using Veritas drivers, but Compaq drivers. It looked like it was a memory leak.
kr
Gery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back